━━HACHI

Start from the beginning

Daichi then gave her a smile. "You're welcome." He looked at her kindly. The captain began to remember the meat buns he had bought. "I think I need to get back now." He told her. Nao then nodded. "Good luck!"

He then beamed, quite happy at her phrase for their team's success.

"Thank you!"

Nao was walking through the streets after finally checking out the items she had bought

Nao was walking through the streets after finally checking out the items she had bought. She then looked up at the sky. The sun was now dipping low on the horizon. Its color in different shades of vermillion.

Orange.

The color reminded her of the middle blocker she had met a few days before. Its pigment somehow complimented his vibrance. Exuding warmth and joy.

She then passed through a shop. It was an old, rickety tailoring store. One of the oldest in the town. A beautiful kimono was displayed in the front. Its fabric in deep burgundy. There were strings stitched on the hem.

Red strings.

The phrase akin to the very topic she had written before. The threads of fate. It was when she had met the grey-haired setter who had returned her paper. Then telling her that he liked the way she wrote.

Nao proceeded to turn around a corner. There was a vending machine standing beside the lamppost. She then went near it, wanting to buy a drink before going home. Most of them arrayed were milk drinks. Flavors varying from peaches to blueberries. 

Blueberry.

The fruit was similar to his round orbs. Deep, swirling purple. Aloof and quiet. She then pressed the button, thereby buying the latter. It was her favorite after all. The first thing he had given her.

Nao then retrieved the carton on the tray. She put the straw in, taking a sip. She was almost near her house. It was only a few blocks away.

"Onee-chan!"

A shrill voice called for her. It was child-like and spontaneous, free from strain. She then shifted her gaze to its direction.

"Ren-kun!"

The little boy was waving his hand. He was happy to see her. It was his little brother. Nao then smiled, waving back. He was with his friends, playing an outdoor game.

"You're going home now?"

Ren asked, cupping his mouth with his hands in order for her to hear him more.

"Yes!" Nao replied. "You need to do the same too. What are you playing?"

"Finding Joōsama. I'll be home after this!"

Nao then nodded. "Okay!"

The little boy went back to resuming the game with the kids in the neighborhood.

Finding Joōsama. She played that game too back when she was a kid. Players would be divided into two groups and then look for the hidden joōsama.

Queen.

The title was only used for royalty. People of power and who bear noble lineages. Yet it was the first name he had called her. The apathetic middle blocker with golden brown eyes and a teasing smile.

Nao then stopped in front of a medium-sized house. A traditional single unit home with typical Japanese architecture. Wooden walls and panels. It belonged to their family for generations. This was it—her home.

"Tadaima!"

She greeted as she slid the fusuma open. Taking her shoes off and placed them in the shelf.

"Okaeri!" 

A reply then came a moment later from the back of the house. Footsteps were heard approaching her direction.

"Nao-chan." An elderly voice mentioned her name. It was her grandmother.

"Obaasan." Nao greeted. "I'll be putting these groceries in the kitchen."

The elderly lady then smiled in approval. She then sat beside the table, sipping her tea. "Your brother hasn't come home yet?"

Nao was busy unpacking the items on the kitchen counter. "No, but he will after he's done playing outside." She replied.

Her grandmother then nodded. Resuming in listening to the news announcements from the radio. Nao then placed the products one by one inside their designated cabinets. She checked for the remaining inventories in the paper bag. It was only one item left.

A carton box full of corn flakes.

The latter was reminded of what happened earlier. It was the captain who had helped her reached the said breakfast cereal. Even though he was busy and needed to hurry back to their practice, he still made time to assist her. It showed the kind of person he was. Thoughtful and nice. Out of all the things that had taken place.

His smile was still fresh in her mind.

▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░