Chapter 28

Bree's promise to spend more time with her mother only lasted a while because soon, she began to aid Beasley in the search for his hometown. She traveled more in two weeks than she had done in her entire life.

Together with Beasley, she traveled to Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Italy and of course, Bree's favourite place in the whole world - France. Beasley, on the other hand, did not hold back on the fun. He became extremely comfortable with Bree around and would sometimes forget he was trying to get home.

During their travels, Bree had to work hard at disguising Beasley as much as possible since it was not normal for a creature his size to be found cruising in the streets of Midi-Pyrenees.

She had painted him to look like a white circus elephant, a parked school bus, a giant ice cream van and a gold statue. Each disguise, oddly enough, had worked without effort. A kid had even walked up to Beasley 'the ice cream van' and knocked on his side. Bree had to buy ice cream for the child to get him to leave as he was quite fascinated by Beasley's soft front door which was actually his belly.

As a gold statue, a couple of teenage tourists had taken snaps of him because he was very life like but Bree had faked an accident and knocked their phones into the fountain. With each incident, Beasley would sigh with excitement "that was a close one."

Bree felt disappointed each time they traveled and discovered the city or town they were in was not Beasley's home. It also surprised her that as they days stretched on, Beasley became less and less affected by their failures. He would only suggest having fun around the city.

One time, he had actually played the flute beautifully for almost twenty minutes which sent Bree's brain into freeze mode. She was dumbstruck and asked how he knew to play the flute. He said he had witnessed many music concerts even though he would not elaborate on the story.

Bree also learned new skills from Beasley. He taught her to throw with accuracy and she had even attempted it with her eyes closed. She learnt to climb which wasn't really necessary but still. . . he taught her to set traps for small animals, he also successfully made a blanket out of hay and was proud of it even though it was only big enough to cover one of his arms.

They would camp at the foot of mountains and in waterfalls and caves whilst analyzing their next stop.

"So there's nineteen places in France with the name Villeneuve, we've been to seven of them. Count them off. " Bree said.

Beasley was better with French words so he did the pronunciation. He held up his huge fingers and began to count off the places. "There's two places in Rhone Alpes, one in Poitou-Charentes, one in Midi-Pyrenees, one in Pays de la Loire, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, and the other is in Languedoc-Roussillon."

Bree whistled. "That must've taken a lot of effort."

Beasley tilted his head. "Thank you."

Bree beamed. "You're welcome."

She put down the map and placed both hands on it. The sound of the nearby waterfall splashing heavily against the rocks drowned her voice but she didn't need to raise it since Beasley had super hearing.

"Now we go here."

Beasley leaned forward to peer at the place her fingers pressed against.

"But we've been there already. That's Australia." He stated in a tone that clearly showed he was in disagreement with the idea.

"Yes but, we skipped Australia remember? The spiders?" Bree said rolling her hands for emphasis.

Beasley hummed as he recalled the ugly spider incident. Somehow, they'd marched into a part of the fabulous country and Beasley was immediately ambushed by huge spiders. In their struggle to free him, he jumped right back into their previous location which had been Italy.