Chapter Six

Five months till the wedding
___________________________

For Alex and Cat the months went by fast but slowly they got closer and their hearts didn't beat the same around the women and it was relieving but Cats drinking problem was bigger than that and it worried Alex she cut back it wasn't easy she fell off time and time again but the brunette knew if she kept drinking herself to oblivion she'd do something to risk her life.

Talking to Cat was harder than thought Alex even sat with her at the bar making sure she drank a minimum of drinks or stuck to coke the blonde had been furious with her but she didn't mind.

Then her phone rang one fateful night and that's when Alex knew it got real everything was being laid out on the table they were hurt broken and vulnerable both knew there was no going back.

"Cat? It's...two in the morning!" The blonde grumbles an 'I know' but the fact it gets silent after makes the brunette frown but she doesn't sit up
the blonde's breathing is shuddering and Alex is tempted to drive down to the blonde's apartment but instead, something keeps her grounded.

There's a small sigh after a moment "Scully....my heart is but so fragile and I keep it guarded but Kara was different now- I don't know if my heart is beating half of the time" Alex could only hum in agreement they sat silently for a couple more minutes before Cat spoke again and it madeAlex's heart squeeze.

"Then when I was going to watch some cheesy movie I passed that action one we watched and my mind flashed to you...smiling and laughing you looked so free and you had a half-empty beer on the coffee table bowl of popcorn in your lap and arm around ME and suddenly it was like you were here making everything better like you always seem to do.."

Cat took a deep shuddering breath "then I realized I missed you and-and suddenly Kara didn't exist and all I wanted to do was hear your voice so..I-I called you."

Alex's breath caught and she stayed silent practically feeling the blonde's worry through the phone "I miss you too...Cat there are days when I wake and wonder if I'll see you that day or maybe the next wondering if you'll want me to stay over or just drop you off maybe take you to lunch honestly other than Dani and Lena your all I have as a friend.."

Cat hummed already half asleep there was some shifting and Alex glanced at her phone "Alex?" The brunette shut her eyes "yeah Cat" both found themselves getting more comfortable under their blankets as Cat answered.

"You think you can stay up with me till I fall asleep?" Alex had been quick to accept not caring that she had to be at the tower early.

That day she'd been late but never explained her reason and figuring it had to do with Cat so none asked.

_______

After the first phone call, it became one of their regular 'we don't talk about it afterward' things.

It'd happen when Alex couldn't make it to Cats or the woman was close to drinking herself to death she'd call Alex who'd usually be in the lab or out doing some minor work like helping animals out of trees or fixing someone's car maybe a robbery.

Then one day Alex didn't pick up the blonde texted her and called Dani had even tried reaching Alex worried when she didn't show for lunch but received no answer so she called Kara and the blonde didn't know where she was either.

After four round trips around the city and in all the abandoned apartments and warehouses they expanded their search but at the end of the day no one could track her down and everyone was on edge.

"C'mon pick up.." Cat says pacing her living room she doesn't know what happened Alex had said something about breaking up a fight between some aliens and humans but then she never got a response "Alex where are you?" She mumbles walking towards the kitchen.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

There's a sudden pounding against Cats door that startled the woman out of her trance she'd meant to be drinking but couldn't find the energy to worried about the oldest Danvers to think about anything else she moves swiftly towards the door only a little cautious.

There's a seven-foot tall green man with sharp teeth and horns standing beside a shorter woman she had pointy ears and white hair wearing a cloak she gave an uneasy smile but Cats eyes were on the body the man held bloody and limp tears welled up in the blonde's eyes and she glanced towards the man who looks a bit guilty.

"I'm assuming your Cat right?" She nods "can we?" The woman motions towards the door and Cat moves aside letting them in closing. The door behind them the man was quick to lay Alex on the couch not seeming to care that blood was staining it and Cat didn't care either.

"What happened?" She asks quietly eyes on the brunette lying motionless on her couch it sends a shiver down her spine as dread settles in "for a human, she fights like an alien" the man started his voice a deep rumble and Cat nods "she was trying to break up a fight in which she did but a little after the humans seemed angry she took the Aliens side we can't blame her."

Cat leans against the couch the two across from her "she explains that the humans started it firsts in which they did who knows where they got the weapons from but most of the aliens were hurt so she wanted to help them but when she was they decided that she was wrong and attacked her some aliens helped her out but the damage was already done."

Cat frowns and the man seems to have a fire in his eyes "it's such a disgrace in my land to hurt your own kind" he says in a growl "she's a fighter three broken ribs she was stabbed four or five times took a metal pipe to the head and was still standing wanting to help the others we helped her but there's only so much my powers can do her ribs will heal in a week maybe two she's bandaged up she has some stitches on her leg and forehead."

Cat slumps a bit "oh! Here you go her phone she kept saying something about Cat which is you and Dani I don't know I swear she never even thought about herself just checking on everyone else" the man nods with a slight smile Cat could see the respect that man had for Alex.

They left leaving the number of a doctor who dealt with magical healing and would look over Alex to see if she was healing correctly something about it backfiring sometimes the blonde made a not to call them later first she was going to get the blood off of the younger woman seeing as it made the dread heavier.

Halfway through she'd been finishing up the floor and was about to start cleaning the couch but Alex groaned and the blonde was by her side in seconds.

Brown eyes squint open and there's a blurry figure in front of her small blonde companion she smiles a bit "Kit Kat" she mumbles reaching out hand shaking slightly a smaller one grips hers and Cat looks down realizing it's covered in dry blood she only holds it tighter.

"Do...do they know 'm here?" Cat shook her head she'd forgotten to call anyone "I can call now if you'd like I'd forgotten" she says softly and Alex shakes her head as much as she can with it being almost dead weight on the couch now
"j-jus' call Dani" the woman manages a nod she can tell Alex is about to pass out again.

And the blonde waited sitting quietly as the brunette's eyes close once again and don't open the only thing keeping Cat from panicking is the barely noticeable rise and fall on her back.

She grabs the woman's phone brushing some dirt off as she put the password in not wanting to look at her lock screen of Kara beaming at the camera wearing one of Alex's lab coat instead the sight of a sleeping Kara clinging to Alex greeted her but it was better since she saw mostly Alex.

Cat must've been working for hours because it had been almost one in the morning she realized as she called the woman.

"I don't think I'm sleeping.." she grumbles as she puts Alex's phone back on the table Dani was as wide awake as Cat when she called voice tense when she answered she seemed relieved that Alex was alright but Cat knew she wasn't going to be able to sleep either the blonde instead pulls a blanket out of the closet and sits by her balcony doors with her iPad and some tea.