4: play along

You blinked, your eyes darting back and forth in confusion as Greg let out a huff of relief, as jasper relaxed a bit. "Good. No more stupid scavenger hunts on that prison of a planet..." Greg gives a dirty side glare, but grumbles under his breath. "I'll say..."

"Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Universe." The blue woman offered a friendly smile to Greg, in which he gives a modest chuckle rubbing the back of his head. "Oh, you know... anything to help out old schtu-ball with his... outbursts." He hesitates at the last part, in which you tilted your head curiously at him.

"We don't call him that here, Greg." The yellow gem reprimanded sternly. "Such a foolish name shouldn't even be addressed in the palace of diamond." Greg grunted, bitterly looking at the ground. "R-right..." he folded his arms, averting their gazes. "..diamonds."

"Schtu.... ball?" You repeated slowly, bringing everyone's attention back to you. "Who is that?"

Greg chuckles at your curiosity, shrugging. "Ah, it's just a nickname I like to call him-"

"-And he will be your new superior from here on out." Interrupted the yellow gem sharply. At this, Greg just slumped his shoulders, looking almost defeated. "Y...yeah."

"Well then. Thank you again for your contribution to our diamond." The yellow woman nodded slightly. "You are dismissed for today."

"Ah... R-right." He looked down solemnly.

You felt a sir of alarm at hearing this. "You're leaving me?"

You must have looked more worried than you suspected, because you saw him flinch at your gaze. "Oh... yeah. I... can't really stay here for too long." He said, sounding solemn. "The Diamonds, they... don't really like me."

The weight in your chest increased, and your breath quickened. You've only known this human for a few hours, but so far he was the only being to have given you kindness! And now he had to leave you...?

"Hey hey, don't worry!" He puts a comforting hand to your shoulder, and gave an optimistic smile. "It'll be okay! I promise, he's a real good guy once he warms up to ya!" He assures. He then leans in to whisper into your ear, "Just be sure to cooperate with him. The more ya play along with the rules, the better things will be for ya." He instructed. "And if things do get rough, they'll call me to help out. So we'll see each other again sometime."

Jasper nudged him in his side, signaling his time here was up. He pats you on the back one last time before giving you a wave. "I'll see ya then!"

With that, he lets jasper walk him out, and you watched him with a pitiful expression. "See you then..." you repeated slowly to yourself, fiddling with your hands nervously. His somber, yet gentle voice echoed in your head, as well as how plaintiff he appeared to be despite his effort to hide it. He seems like a good man. So humble. Yet the beings here seemed to dislike his presence.

Why? Whatever did he do?

"Ahem!"

You snapped back into attention, staring wide-eyed at the two thin gems before you. The yellow one's eyes looked you up and down for a moment, as if she was confirming something before letting out a short sigh. "Now then. First thing's first. Tell me, Do you have a name?"

You hesitated, not keen on speaking to the unfamiliar woman, let alone one that radiated a mildly unfriendly aura but Greg's brief bit of advice replayed itself in your head. Play along.

"(Name)." You answered. "I... am (name)."

"(Name)..." The yellow woman repeated, seeming unfamiliar with the word.

"Lovely name." Complimented the blue woman, with a little smile on her face.

"Yes, quite." The yellow woman agreed, lifting her chin. "Well then. I suppose I should fill you in on what's to come."

You nodded sheepishly, to which she hums. "Well... let's start with the basics."

"Firstly, We welcome you to homeworld." The blue gem greets placidly.

"Home... world?" You repeated curiously. Kind of a generic name for an alien planet...

"Yes. And you will be staying within this very palace." The yellow woman stated, gesturing to the room around her. "Very few have been granted the honor and luxury of doing so, let alone get seeked out by the very diamonds themselves." her tone hardened, becoming firm and direct. "So you are to listen to us very carefully. No fussing or resisting. Understood?"

You quickly nodded with a short whimper.

"Good... firstly, you should know your place." She sneered. "Considering your new position, you will likely be carrying out the duties of a pearl, like us." She states matter-of-factly.

You tilted your head. "You're... pearls...?"

The blue gem nods. "Indeed we are." She elaborates. "We normally carry out the demands from gems who are higher up then us. Typically orders from our diamonds."

"I... see." You replied, fiddling with your hands. "So... I'm like a servant?"

"Technically, yes." Blue pearl nods. "Though, I believe your duties won't be as taxing as ours, since the diamond you're going to already has two pearls." She gives you a small smile. "Aren't you the lucky one?"

"Now, before anything else, need to get cleaned and dressed into proper attire." The yellow pearl noted, curling her lip in disgust as her eyes scanned your clothing. "Sending you in looking like that would be insulting to our diamonds!"

You looked down at yourself, pulling at your well-worn clothing, feeling your cheeks burn in modesty. "And after which, you will be given further instruction and you'll be shown to your new superior for orientation."

This all sounds so sketchy.

"Are we clear?" You hurriedly nodded, not wanting to upset the gem.

That was when the blue pearl stepped forward and wrapped her fingers gently around your wrist. "We have an outfit ready for you in another room." She spoke, pulling lightly at your wrist. "Come."

After a moment's hesitation, you allowed the blue pearl to lead you away from the massive throne room, with the yellow pearl walking a few paces behind you.