thirteen

CONTENT WARNING: smut. there's smut somewhere in this long-ass final chapter. thank you so much for sticking with me til the end <3

...

Fortunately, no one had been suffering severe conditions when you and Thoma finally arrived back home. The worst symptom that manifested across the people in the estate was Ayato's prior show of coughing up blood in front of you the other day. Now, everyone was relatively fine. Nervous for the fate of the Yashiro Commission, but otherwise fine.

You were quick to round up Hina's help to administer the available doses of the cure to those that needed it first—Ayaka and Ayato, the elderly retainers, and those with existing medical conditions. The other attendants volunteered to brew the next batch of Sango broth following Doctor Naoko's instructions in his journal and Thoma gladly busied himself by helping out as well—speeding up the boiling process with his Vision and all.

Contrary to your prior assumptions, your abysmal supply of pearls was surprisingly enough to cover all the retainers and attendants in the estate, along with your esteemed visitors.

Given that he was unconscious for the majority of the day, you had to administer Kujou Masahito's dose intravenously. It's a good thing Hina had some sterile syringes stashed away in the estate's first aid kit. When he finally came to, Sara, who was still stuck here as well, gave him a thorough questioning.

However, instead of the merciless man who'd issued your orders to kill Ayaka, you were met with a soldier blinking up at his current audience in confusion.

Turns out, the man was merely another pawn in this convoluted war of ideals. Their father, Kujou Takayuki was the sole mastermind behind the Tatarigami experiments. Masahito explained, in great detail, that their father had been playing his cards quite suspiciously over the past few months.

"I suspected he was onto something, but he wouldn't tell me what," he sighed. "I didn't know why he wanted us to build a base on Yashiori Island, and I was in no place to refuse. The next thing I knew, I felt like I was in a dream all this time. I was awake, but my decisions weren't my own. I suppose it's the same for all the men he'd forced me to bring."

Ayato gaped at him. "So you're telling me that the guys who attacked us the other day walked from Yashiori to here?"

"I'm sorry, Lord Ayato. My memory is still quite fuzzy, but that might be the case."

Huh. That explained why your back-up from burning the tengu feather took so long. Once that was made clear, you decided to come clean to Kujou Sara about the contingency plan Masahito presented to you when he was being mind-controlled.

"No wonder I felt a bit off-kilter that day," she sighed, massaging her temples. "It's alright. Once we're all cleared of the infection, Lord Ayato and I will raise this issue directly to the Raiden Shogun herself. Our father's actions are putting the people in peril."

"...Did you just say you're going to work with us on this?" the Yashiro Commissioner asked incredulously.

"I'm not as disagreeable as you think I am," Sara huffed. "I've had my own...reservations about our father's methods when it comes to war tactics. But this is something that would be a crime to overlook. It's our word against his."

To her brother's side, Ayaka spoke out. "Is it safe to assume that Kujou Takayuki has been colluding with the Kanjou Commission? I think part of the reason they refuse to have the Vision Hunt repealed is because they're profiting off this war more than we thought..."

Masahito nodded somberly. "It's true that father has been quite...taken with the wealth he's made from the war effort. That's why no matter how many times the Yashiro Commission attempts to raise the concern to Her Excellency, they're quick to shoot down your attempts despite being the commission closest to the Raiden Shogun."