cristina wasn't able to tell them as bailey had already begun talking to them, leading them to the ambulance. 

they only had room for six of them, meaning cristina was staying behind, despite izzie's inappropriate comment about a volcano incident. 

"hey, what was your news?" meredith asked before she climbed into the vehicle. 

cristina sighed, "forget it, forget it."

veronica and meredith nodded, climbing into the ambulance. 

bailey began to give them last minute advice as they were on their way. once they were there they stepped out to see a horrific ferry boat accident. it had collided with something. it was on fire and there were people everywhere, injured or dead. 

"holy shit," veronica exclaimed. 

she took a deep breath as she took in the scene. there were crying children, people running around. dr bailey wouldn't tell them what to do, she told them to just go help people. they did as she said, meredith and veronica sticking close to each other.

they began triaging before they saw a crying child. one who wouldn't speak. 

"stay here," veronica told. the little girl refused, hanging onto her side. "okay, that's fine. did you wet your pants?" the girl didn't respond. "that's okay. it happens sometimes."

veronica continued to do what she could as the little girl clung to her. 

the pair saw derek at one point, before they went to take the little girl to triage. 

while veronica was trying to find another adult to look after the little girl, she noticed a man climbing up from the ocean. she left the little girl with another person.

"mer," she yelled out, getting the woman's attention. "i need your help." 

meredith had just finished with a few non-emergent people, so she was free to go over to the man with veronica. 

the man was telling them what happened as they began treating his injuries. his leg was particularly bad as she tried to patch up the wound. as she was doing so, there was a tap on her shoulder. she turned and the little girl was back. 

"don't look. turn around," she instructed, not wanting the little girl to see this man's injuries. 

she did as she was told. 

"i need you to be brave for me. just stand right there and don't move. and don't look," she continued. "mer, if you're needed elsewhere, you can go."

"no, i'll stay. this won't take too long," she replied.

it was lucky that meredith did stay as the injuries on this man required the both of them to help him. it meant that the little girl didn't have to see this injured man or help her. 

the man began shivering once they had finished saving him. 

"we just need to find someone to take him to the hospital, and then we'll find your mom, okay?" veronica spoke to the little girl, who had turned around by then. she nodded. 

meredith placed her jacket on him but he didn't stop. 

he had been in the water, so he was obviously very cold. 

he began to freak out about the pain he was in as both women told him to stop moving. he pushed her away, causing her to fall into the water. 

"meredith," veronica screamed, looking out to see where she was. 

she watched as she swam to the surface before she went back under. 

"fuck. shit. i can't swim mer," she exclaimed. she took a deep breath, taking her coat off. "i can do this. just kick your legs and move your arms. just like on tv. just like on tv." she nodded to herself, before turning to the little girl. "wait here."