Tip: Character Building

Arguably, your characters are one of if not the most important part of your story. Why do we say that? Because even if the plot is solid, if your characters aren't written well, the whole story falls flat. 

That being the case, how do you write compelling characters? There's a lot to it, but here we're going to consider two ways.

Personality
This is one that some tend to overlook. We all know that our characters must have their own traits. However, how these traits are expressed is their personality. The way we write their personality is heavily connected to "show, don't tell." 

For example, we decide one of their defining traits is that they always hold two dice in their hand to play with. That's their signature. One way we could include this in their personality is by figuring out why this person likes holding the dice. Does it have to do with a childhood experience? Does it make them happy, sad, or comforted? 

Depending on how you plan your story, your answers and relevant questions may vary. A detail-oriented planner may know everything about their backstory, but a pantser may not care just yet about the why. They will care more about his reaction and figure out the why later. In both cases, the reaction to the dice is a big factor. But remember "show, don't tell?" This works best when expressing how the character feels instead of the name of the emotion!

Motivation
The root of motivation is whatever you decide as you create your character. Is it money? Material possessions? Fame? These would show your character is shallow. A better understanding of life and love? They are emotionally driven and may have more depth than they normally show. You may even include moments of keen insight in their scenes. 

All in all, what motivates your character defines their personality even further. This is the driving force behind their decisions. Deciding this helps build the character. There are many things that could be, so it's up to the writer to decide. 

Do keep in mind, though, that the motivation reveals whether they're genuine, shallow, caring, or unfeeling. Their motivation needs to fit or even be the driving force behind the plot. This also applies to the secondary and side characters, not just main characters. Remember: Your story is a whole cast, not a solo act.