Chapter 20: Field Trip

Start from the beginning

Adam carefully placed the script on the floor, slowly leaning in closely. I felt my ear heat up, and I was quite certain that my cheeks were blushing, judging by how I felt my blood swiftly rush to my face. I couldn't move. We held each other's eyes, and he took a moment to look down at my lips.

"And then they kiss," Adam whispered, a mischievous smirk dancing on his lips. In that moment, my heart felt like it was about to leap out of my chest. But before I could even process what was happening, he quickly pulled away, leaving me stunned.

"Adam!" I exclaimed, pushing him away and cupping my cheeks between my sweaty palms.

He chuckled teasingly. "What? It says here on the script. Edmund kisses Anne," he argued, holding out the script to me, amusement evident in his eyes.

I hissed and rolled my eyes at him, feeling both flustered and annoyed because, clearly, he was right, and I didn't know what to say.

Teasingly narrowing his eyes at me, Adam added, "Are you blushing?"

Clenching my bottom lip between my teeth, I couldn't bear the embarrassment anymore. "I'm going home," I declared, swiftly grabbing my bag from under the counter.

"Hey, lighten up. I was just messing with you," he called out, his laughter trailing after me as I stormed out of the room.

"Whatever!" I retorted, feeling a mixture of irritation and embarrassment. As I walked away, I couldn't help but wonder how I let myself get caught up in such a ridiculous situation.

Darn it!

Another school day

Another school day. . .

"Alright, class, I have a very exciting announcement to make before you leave," Ms. Dartwood's enthusiastic voice was immediately met by groans from students who believed nothing exciting could come from her—or any teachers in general. While I slowly gathered our stuff, counting the seconds before the bell would ring, Ms. Dartwood continued, "We will all be going on a field trip next Tuesday!"

I smiled, and the moans quickly turned into loud cheers. I glanced around and even noticed Adam and Jay clapping from their usual spots in the corner. They were focused on Ms. Dartwood and her announcement.

It was the first time I had seen him since our slight disagreement at Brown's. His mocking tone after I agreed to rehearse lines with him still bothered me, so I decided to ignore him. Maybe I was overreacting, but his smirk really annoyed me. I felt embarrassed and offended at the same time. I knew there was a reason I was upset, but I couldn't quite figure it out.

And to make matters worse, he laughed at me, which only added to my frustration. I felt my face flush, imagining how silly I must have looked sitting there with red cheeks.

I quickly closed my bag, ready to meet Penny for lunch, as Ms. Dartwood handed out permission slips for our parents to sign.

"Where are we going?" Jay asked loudly from the back for everyone to hear. "Please don't say Pine Crest State Park."