Chapter 17: The Cast

Bắt đầu từ đầu

As they discussed what rehearsals would be like with Mason and his friends hovering around, I sank into quiet contemplation in my seat. I suddenly realized that Brinson was into Laura, and he and Penny shared the same sentiment regarding Megan and her boyfriend.

"You do?" Brinson asked uncertainly, seeking confirmation from Penny.

"Adam and I... we both share your two cents on the matter."

Adam shot Penny a stricken look, but she merely smiled back.

"We're all in the same boat here," Penny said, sounding unapologetic for dragging Adam into it. "And, by the way, Adam got Edmund Cranford, a supporting role, but he doesn't give a damn."

Brinson grinned and nodded. "I know. I went over the complete list, even for those helping with the production backstage. You'll be on wardrobe duty."

I suppressed a snicker, but Adam seemed to not care much about Penny's feelings, so he burst into laughter, almost mocking her. This, predictably, led to another round of their endless bickering.

Brinson nodded at me when he joined us that afternoon for our first crew assembly

Brinson nodded at me when he joined us that afternoon for our first crew assembly. Seated next to him was Luke, who slumped in his seat, nervously biting his nails as we all gathered on stage. Truth be told, I was just as anxious as he was.

Scanning the room for Adam or Penny, I swallowed hard when I couldn't find either of them. Maybe Penny was already backstage with Ms. Dartwood.

Looking down at the stack of script copies on my lap, I fidgeted, clutching the pen between my sweaty fingers and scribbling some notes in my journal to appear busy. Glancing up for a moment, I then went back to my scribbling, wondering why I didn't hide backstage while waiting for the others. It would have been so much easier; I wouldn't have to act busy.

As soon as I heard the door opening, I looked up again and saw Mr. Scott entering the room, with Megan and Laura walking with him and the rest of the cast members following suit.

"Hello, everyone!" Mr. Scott greeted, taking his seat next to Luke, across from me. The rest of the cast enthusiastically greeted him back. I whispered a shy hello instead.

Before we could officially begin, the door opened again, and, to my relief, I saw Adam's familiar face. He raced toward our group and had to take the only empty seat next to Mr. Scott.

"Hey, Brinson, Mason says hi," Megan teased.

Brinson rolled his eyes and let out a breath. "Tell him right back at ya." He raised his open palm to Adam, and, much to my surprise, Adam gave him a high five.

Megan glowered at him. "Dork."

The others seemed indifferent, but Mr. Scott displayed a look of disapproval, perhaps aware of the bet or slowly realizing Megan's not-so-sweet side on our first day.

"Let's all start, shall we?" Mr. Scott announced once everyone was seated, leaning back and looking at me.

I cleared my throat; my palms were already sweating. Why did he have to sit right in front of me? I didn't want attention, especially from him.