Chapter 16

MUKTA

Prarthana aka Pattu...that is what she asked me to call her now on...was a great company but unfortunately she was pretty busy attending guests and somehow I felt too many eyes on me tonight when I was with her. Some even asked her about mine and Omkar's friendship but as much as Prarthana seemed to be a sweetheart she was also an obsidian knife!!! Sharp at the tongue!!!
She just smiled at the aunties and told them...
'I would very much love the fact that she and Anna would have something for each other, even mom would love it but what do we do aunty they don't want to as of now... probably because they both have their own jobs to do unlike others spreading nonsense gossips!!! You see' and her words shooed a large amount of audience who tried to mess around with her temper.

I was practically shocked to see this side of Pattu. I never thought a sweet bubbly girl would be this fierce. When I looked at her with wide eyes she was happily licking a chocolate softie cone and showing me her brown teeth. I couldn't help but giggle and ask her...
'I just couldn't believe that was you just 5 min back girl!!!' and she signalled me to eat my vanilla mint softie and told me...

'Chill!!! This is what I have learnt from Rudra and Omkar Anna. Stand tall when someone attacks your people!!! Nothing surpasses love and confidence that you have for your people!!! So basically these relatives are all good till they stay in their limits, if they cross their line Prarthana Rudra Nayak knows how to handle it!!! And no one attacks my Anna nor my buddy' she says boldly yet in a cool manner winking back at me.

I smile as I hear what she referred me as...
'So...I'm your buddy???' I ask and she smiles saying...
'As of now you are!!! But honestly I would like it if you be more than that...I mean you are talented, intelligent, you know flowers and perfumes to add on even know ayurvedic medicines...you are sweet, humble, brave, kind, adjusting and gorgeous... I mean you fill in all the checkboxes!!!' she says and I narrow my eyebrows asking...'For???' and I never thought she would blurt it out so carelessly but she does and says ...

'Being my Vanni!!!' saying she suggestively winks pointing towards Omkar who probably has been clicking my pic for the nth time in this function. And my heart jumps out at Pattu's words!!!

'Prarthana...I mean Pattu...there is nothing between us...I mean...' I didn't really have the words to describe but then she giggles saying...

'Chill girl ..I just am brutally honest sometimes...I don't mean to make you both uncomfortable...I don't know about you but the way that 6.5ft beast of a man has been staring at you, clicking your pics secretly thinking we all are dumbass uneducated people and he is the only ace photographer here in Mangalore...I can definitely say there is something wrong with his hormones!!!' saying she giggled. And my eyes popped out wide!!!

She is a big mouth indeed!!! Either always eating or always giving out shocking details...

I suddenly got scared... what if she gets to know about our secret marriage... I can't even imagine...she may just go and tell it to Omkar's parents... and will Omkar's parents be ok with it??? And Omkar??? Will he be ok with it??? He staring at me doesn't really say if he likes me...I mean if he really did he could have told it to his family by now...

Or wait a minute!!!
What if he is trying to hide it from his family because he already has some other secret!!!
I had heard of some aunty talking about some Panchami girl when I was helping some old aunties tie their hair in the green room.

Wait!!!
What if this is the reason why Omkar wanted to keep away from me???
Maybe Omkar is already married to this Panchami female...
Worse...maybe a father of two to three kids already...
Does he look like???
Oh Shutup Mukku!!!
Just because he looks sexy doesn't mean he can't produce babies!!
He is old enough to have kids!!!
What if he's waiting to unveil his family to his parents???

Damnnn!!! Stop Mukku stop!!!
You have begun to overthink again...
But then how much do I know this man now for...

2-3 weeks max!!!

And just because he tied that string across your neck that night doesn't mean anything Mukta!!!
Right!!!

Suddenly my eyes fell upon him who tried to pass a light uncomfortable smile to me and I returned it back!!!

Gosh!!! I don't care if he's married, committed or whatever!!! I need to stop being closer to him...there is enough mess in your life Mukta!!!
This wedding affair gets over tonight as this wedding and reception party gets over and it's time you start looking out for a job!!!
High time you stand up on your feet and leave the Nayak Mansion!!!

Right!!!
Just then Omkar's mother called Pattu and she excused herself. I stood there while suddenly Karthik and Sameer joined me. Sameer kept asking me from where I was, about my education and my job aspirations while Karthik stood there silently passing me these intense glares and I tried to smile at him time and again to ease the tension.

'Hey why wouldn't you give a try in Patty's??? Prarthana is into the same business infact you would be an asset to the organization...' he said and I nodded saying...

'I don't know Sameer...I don't think it's right to go via referrals!!! I would try on my own...I have applied in a few companies...I'm sure it would click somewhere!!!' I said while he said...

'Well I have a few friends in this industry...I can refer you elsewhere if you like!' Karthik spoke up for the first time...But before I could say something...I heard a strong voice from behind...

'Well I think Mr. Karthik Shetty you must really try to look out for your set of assignments rather than pushing referrals for my people here!!!' and I could feel his presence exactly behind me. My throat dried up feeling he was so close to me.

'No...Ssssir...I didn't...mean to...I was just trying to hhhhelp' Karthik tried to explain while suddenly Omkar added...
'You wouldn't need to do that Karthik!!! Because Mukta probably didn't tell you... she would be joining us soon at Nayak's as a green house manager!!!' he announced and I was shocked.

I turned around to look at him thinking when the hell did that happen???
But he simply stared into my eyes shooting me daggers!!!
He is angry??? But why???

Just then Sameer mumbled...
'A green house manager??? What would a green house manager do in a jewellery designing group??? ' he asked and honestly even I was confused while I heard another voice from behind... and I see Rudra Dada standing next to Omkar...

'Well...A green house manager would make our office and our lavish tech park more eco friendly and green. Anna as well as I have noticed there is a lot of plastic been used, the office looks boring, the garden outside the office building looks for namesake and we are not at all an environment friendly organization. We must try to go more green setting example to other organisations around us preserving greenary around us. Well I know it's not a very entertaining job for Mukta who is more into making medicines but she is botany graduate, she has stayed closest to the nature and I think she can help Nayak's transform making it a roll model for many others!!!' he quipped and I smiled forcefully while I could still feel Omkar's gaze on me.

Suddenly Sameer said...
'Hey that's great... which means we would get to meet often...can't wait to see you more at breakfast and lunch buddy' to which suddenly I heard a booming voice...

'Well Sameer I think we all work in our organization rather than trying to be 'buddies' to each other I say!!! And I don't think Mukta and you would even work in the same department!!! She would have a seperate team which would directly report to ME!!! So you know what I think you would still have to adjust having meals with Karthik!!' he said in a venomous tone.

Why was he being unnecessarily rude to Sameer???
While Rudra Dada tried to pitch in saying...
'Sameer Karthik ..come along...you know Pattu made Halwa for all of us for breakfast today morning and I heard you guys didn't taste it' and next minute horror danced on their face again. But Rudra Dada dragged them along with him inside the house.

What is this Pattu's Halwa some sort of a poison is it??? Why do these guys run away at the mention of it.

While I was still trying to look at them I heard a deep voice...
'Missing them already???'

What????