TWENTY - THREE. | PETER PETTIGREW

Start from the beginning

Hagrid, decked in a gigantic, hairy burnished-colored suit and perhaps the cosmos' ugliest mustard and orange tie, stood knee-deep in the shallows of the Black Lake, skimming rocks as hulking as flagstones across the water's shiny gloss. The polypheme circulated, having heard the approaching footsteps, and the Quartet caught a brief glance into his eyes, which were red with tears, before he turned away. - "How did it go, Hagrid?," Harry questioned; opting to be the one who cut the quietude short. "Buckbeak liked London," the giant revealed. Gemini winced at his undeniable disregard; gently notifying, "I believe he meant the trial, Hagrid. How did that go?"

"Oh. That," Hagrid acknowledged, "Well, I got up an' said my bit - You know, how Buckbeak was a good Hippogriff an' as long as yeh treated 'im with respect, he'd treat you the same. Then Lucius Malfoy got up an' said his bit - You know, how Buckbeak was a deadly dangerous beast that no teacher in their righ' mind would expose their students to..." Hermione, immersed in impending dread, inquested, "And?" Hagrid only slung yet another stone across the water. "You mustn't blame yourself, Hagrid," she decidedly soothed; taking into account the defeated sentiment.

"Hagrid," Gemini named; apprehensively picking at her cuticles, "Hermione is correct, you mustn't blame yourself for any of this. But, if I may speak candidly, I do hope you haven't allocated a large chunk of culpability onto Draco. Not that I am claiming he has done nothing wrong here, but he's beyond doubt grievous over what has occurred. That was a time when he was still kept under Lucius' thumb, forced into a role that was expected of him since birth, less he pay the consequence. But he's been trying to right his wrongs since the moment he was free, even with respect to Buckbeak. He transmitted an owl to the ministry, extracting his statement, and presented his medical records, showing that his injury was not as detrimental as one might have assumed. Out of embarrassment; I do not know if he's disclosed such information with you, or if he has yet to apologize, but it all remains to be true." The giant, rather than succumbing to enmity as she'd expected, guilelessly waved off her shielding cajolery. "Bless him," he spoke; disregarding the shocked, observing stare of all four. "I'm not mad at yer bother, Gem," he confessed; pitching another stone athwart the waters, "I didn' know 'bout that other stuff - But yer brother's been a big help. 'Pologized to me a while ago, even came to the hearing today to testify 'gainst Lucius. And, basin' off of ole Lucius' reaction, guessing that was the firs' time he'd seen Draco since his, er, transfermation."

Gemini, amazed by her brother's actions and the secrecy of it all, established, "What a snake, facing Lucius Malfoy without me there. I can't believe that is where he was this morning." Ron twisted to face the befuddled female; questioning, "One can assume he failed to inform you because he had supposed you'd kill the man. - But, all-seeing one who holds custody over your, and Harry's, 'child,' where did you suppose he went?" The girl snickered; informing, "I presumed he went to make-out with your brother somewhere. Excuse me, Ronald, if I do not wish to stare at a bit of parchment revealing that my brother had been in the company of Freddie for hours on end." Ron's nose crinkled in aversion. "Ew," he muttered. "Oh, both of you, stop it," Hermione chastened; speculating this is how Gemini had suffered earlier.

After a bit of passing silence; Hagrid dolefully revealed, "S'all my fault! Got all tongue tied. They was all sittin' there in black robes an' I kep' droppin' me notes and forgettin' all them dates yeh and Draco looked up fer me, Hermione. An' then Lucius Malfoy stood up an' said his bit, and the Committee jus' did exac'ly what he told 'em...Buckbeak's not goin' back ter the forest...Suppose he was more riled up than expec'ed, seein' Draco go against him. Not that it's young Draco's faul'. But he asked fer the worse, yeh see, Lucius Malfoy did. An' the Committee granted it...Buckbeak's been sentenced to death!" Ron, the fierce loyalist he was, consoled, "There's still the appeal! Don't give up yet, we'll help work on it!" Hagrid only sighed; dismally proclaiming, "S' no good, Ron. That Committee's in Lucius Malfoy's pocket. I'm jus' gonna make sure the rest o' Beaky's time is the happiest he's ever had, I owe him that..."
___________________________________