November 16th 2021 | y/n

Start from the beginning

She turns to me fully. "Is that your boyfriend?" She points at Clay. I laugh and shake my head. I take the little bun from her shoe and attach it to the burger patty and the other bun. "He should be. He's pretty too." Men should get called pretty more often.

It shouldn't take coming out of a sweet little girl's mouth for me to realize that. I chuckle and play with the toys. I can't seem to take my eye off of Clay. He talks to Brianna, doing everything he can to know about Desmond as she does the same for me.

"You play the customer, okay?" She shoves the toy phone into my hand. I grin and bring the plastic to my ear. I scoot a little away for the realness factor. "Hello?" I stare at Connie now. She rips up the phone from the kitchen set, a normal grey as opposed to the bright red of the toy phone I have.

"Hello, the is uhhh... Restaurant, would you like to make an order?" She says. She sways on her feet impatiently. I play with my hands and answer. "Yeah, can I get a reservation for one?" She plays with the knobs on the stove.

"Yes." Then there's plastic clacking. I shuffle back over to the little girl. She sets the burger patty, a half of a tomato, the spoon, and a fake green bean in a bowl that matches the spoon. "Here you go."

3:03 P.M

I walk over to Desmond who is sitting on the couch with Nisha. I smile at him, in hopes I don't have to ask. He stands and pats the place he just got up from. "Go ahead." He walks to the kitchen, where Clay and Brianna are still chatting like two gossipy mothers.

Nisha looks at me with wide eyes. I look at her and greet her again. "I'm y/n," I say to her. "Mhm." She hums. She stands on her feet, still on the couch cushion. Her arms wrap around my neck.

She hugs me close and I gaze at the kitchen. Clay immediately matches my vision and laughs, drawing the attention of the couple. They both ask what he's laughing at and he instantly shrugs it off and swears it was nothing.

"Do you like Paw Patrol?" She asks me. Her head lifts from the junction of my neck. "I don't know, never seen it." Kids' shows have never been my number one priority. I'm sure if she watches it, with her upbringing, it's probably just fine. Recess and The Fairly Odd Parents were like the only shows I watched as a kid.

We don't talk about my childhood crush on Spinelli. Or Isabelle's insistence that TJ was better than her.

Ahem.

"Can I show you my favorite character?" She asks me and palms at the phone in my sweater pocket. I take it out in hopes this will bond me with the girl. She practically snatches the things from my hands, but I can tell it's only out of sheer excitement.

She shows me the search engine Safari and the picture of a gray dog with a white and green hat. It's just a dog... What is this show- Oh. Paw Patrol. Oh...

Am I old?

5:46 P.M

Desmond sits Nisha down and tells her not to wiggle. I guess she's at that age. The girls sit next to each other. Clay sits next to me with a bowl of chili. "It's hot so you may need to blow on it," Brianna tells the eager Connie.

The girl nods and looks at her bowl. Desmond sits on the end closer to Nisha and me. Brianna sits on the end closer to Connie and me. I look at Clay nervously. "So, how did you guys meet?" Desmond asks us.