xxxvii

thirty seven | crystal

I was having one of those long talks with Will again.

He was rambling about his vision for what the cover of our album would look like. He was losing me after a while, his concrete thoughts becoming more abstract as time ticked onward.

He detailed how he wanted prison bars to morph into pillars— or somethin' like that— before mentioning roses, money, and portraits. He was listing off item after item, racking his brain and moving things around in real time, as if there were a picture of it plastered in front of us.

"No, actually, the money'll go behind the bars and the pillars will hold us, you know?"

I only blinked, not knowing what the hell he was talking about.

He laughed once he realized that my expression of confusion was unchanging. He insisted that his wackiness would make sense in the end. "I'll get 'Shaan to sketch something up. You'll get it then."

I sure hope so.

"You probably tired of talkin' about this rap shit anyway— the 'business' stuff, I mean," he scoffed.

I only shrugged, although I have been drained lately.

For the last two months, it's been a non-stop cycle of being in the studio, being in and out of offices and conference rooms, and the occasional photo shoot.

I didn't even know what we were taking photos for; it's not like we had any material out. I assumed they were just getting a jump on some promotional stuff, but I hated going off of assumptions rather than actual facts.

Not to mention that for half of the time we've been hunkering down on the business front of I.V., Ishaan was missing in action. The fallout of the Stephen-demo fiasco made for a significant shift in the dynamic of the group.

Operating as a trio with Will and Tony was completely different from operating as one with Will and Ishaan.

In the beginning of 'Shaany's leave of absence, the morale of the group was meh.

I had a lot of explaining to do, once Ishaan blew up the spot, especially to Will. He felt like Ishaan made some valid points, and he probably would've left right along with him had I not ended up sobbing on the floor of the studio.

He catered to my tears and talked me off the cliff of my emotions, but once I was leveled, he didn't hesitate to air his grievances. "You probably didn't think nothin' of it, but it does come off like you were goin' behind our backs. On the real."

I defended myself, not sparing a single detail as I recalled the events that would go on to be the cause of Ishaan's first month-long absence.

Wanting to contribute to the group in some fashion, I whipped up this dope ass track with Ice and Xena. Not knowing if my group members would feel the same, I decided to go to an expert. I called up Stephen, asking if he had a few minutes to spare for me.

He seemed reluctant but penned me into his schedule nonetheless. I found a way to the headquarters and presented him with the only tape I possessed of my first time leading a song— from the subject matter, to the hook, to the verse, everything.

He settled back in his chair, allowing the song to play halfway through my verse before finally giving some sort of reaction. "This is smooth... The groove is cool. Definitely could play in the clubs," he allowed his head to nod.

I smiled slightly. The nerves that were becoming jumbled within me dissipated at his approval.

"You did this yourself, right?" he raised an eyebrow.