xv

fifteen | antonio

Since that night at Club Five, I've had to re-earn my stripes.

That included being harder on the niggas I was superior to. That included picking up extra work.

That included annihilating anybody that so much as mentioned Maceo and Club Five in the same sentence during a cypher. It included having to deal with being challenged, whenever and wherever I was outnumbered.

They must've forgot who I was.

With a father who was a respectable force and an uncle who's influence controls the borough, I wasn't to be messed with. That didn't keep niggas from doing so, especially back when I was still coming into my own.

I got in a lot of fights back in the day, mostly as a result of jealousy. Niggas was mad that I was laced with the latest fashions or because their girl was lookin' to level up.

But very rarely, it was to see what I was made of. The only person who truly did that was Uncle Huey, who'd heard about my winning streak in the borough.

He was impressed, especially since my pretty boy façade led him to believe I wouldn't have any grit, any heart. Imagine his surprise when his nephew could hold his own against five others.

It was one of the gifts I'd gotten from my father— an ability to stick and move. An ability to think on my feet.

And to this day, I constantly tap into the skills instilled in me.

Even when my character is questioned because one sucka nigga got lucky, others are quickly reminded that they shouldn't try their own luck.

With a firearm constantly tucked and my fast-flying iron fists, my reputation was quickly healing, but the wound would always be there.

Even so, retaliation wasn't my game. Had it been, Maceo would've been laying cold the same night he had guns drawn. Had that been my steez, I would probably have feds on my trail the same way he does right now.

I didn't need the drama. Besides, I was playing the long game. The game that would take me out of the hood in silk shirts rather than in the silk linings of a wooden box.

That's why I was building a brand new clientele, and the product was "Cristal's Joint."

With no one's blessing but my own, I made copies of Crystal's one and only tape.

With Will and Ishaan's feelings still hurt, they've already washed their hands of Crystal.

They made a good point about her not being as serious as the rest of us. They also made a good point in saying that she came with more drama than a telenovela.

As good as those points were, they didn't make any bit of difference to me.

While they'd continue to sit and pout, I'd be out selling our most profitable asset, and when they see just how much the streets are starving for an emcee like Crystal, they won't be able to deny her spot in the group.

Every talent comes with their own bullshit. Ishaan and Will ain't so perfect themselves.

Just like everything else in life, you gotta' take the good with the bad, and when you have something as phenomenal as Crystal, there's bound to be a whole lotta' crazy to come with it.

Besides, if she decides to really start applying herself in the midst of Will and 'Shaan being stubborn, she could end up signed as a solo act.

I'd rather have her on our team, splitting profits, than to have her as a competitor, taking away from our profits...