Chapter nine - where is Shuri?

The two girls walked to the lab a bit cheerfully, they had handled the mission well and no one was injured. The plan worked well and the king of Wakanda continues to deal with the invaders.

When the two girls arrived at the lab doors with mixed feelings for each other, something strange struck. Shuri had already opened the doors? The two girls looked at each other in surprise and both pulled their pistols from the holster around their thighs.

Yelena motioned for them to be quiet and Nora nodded. Nora made a gesture that she did the right and Yelena did the left. She counted down with their fingers.

3...

2...

1...

GO. Nora opened the right door and Yelena opened the left. The stormed into the lab and had a quick look around. It's a mess in the lab, everything is upside down. The files, all the drawers with things, even the safe with secret ideas had been broken open. Nora looked around with horror in her eyes, their work, gone. All ideas and gadgets were gone or destroyed. And the worst part was that Shuri was nowhere to be seen.

"What the hell happened here?" Yelena asks Nora, sliding her hand over a broken desk.

"I don't even want to know." Nora told the blond assassin who was already ahead. Nora stood with tears in her eyes, partly because all Shuri and her life's work was gone and mostly because Shuri was gone. She had never left the lab herself without telling the girls.

Nora's eyes fell on the laptops and computers that always sat on two desks in the middle of the lab, either gone or broken. All gone. She took a deep breath and rubbed her forehead with her hand.

"Yelena see if there is another laptop that works for me please." She asks Yelena in a soft tone. Yelena nodded and went to look.

After a few minutes, Yelena returned with a laptop, it was an old thing and one of the first laptops Shuri and Nora had built together. The great thing was that the laptop looked like an old thing when in fact it has a hyper technological chip that makes it work much better than everyday laptops and computers.

"I do remember, we were sixteen when we made this beast. To help T'Challa with his missions. You can do a lot with this, perhaps even more than with the laptops we have recently built.' The genus told the blond assassin who has stood next to her.

"He does look very old." Yelena said.

"I'm going to start it up and see if we can get anything out of it." And Nora opened the laptop and clicked the power button. After beeping and rumbling, the laptop started up and came to the login screen. Nora logged in and the laptop worked like new again.

"Great." Yelena mutters under her breath.

Nora clicked on an app and logged back in again. She straightened up and looked around in search.

"I need Shuri's code from her earpiece to trace it, can you help me find it. It's in a folder with a cookie recipe on it." Nora informed Yelena.

"Cookies, why cookies?" Yelena asked, grinning at the tall brown-haired woman standing next to her.

"So that robbers or unwanted people who come into the lab don't take it with them, there shouldn't be any important information in a folder with a cookie recipe anyway. So people don't take that with them as easily as a folder with all our different gadgets and how to make them.' Nora explained to the now dumbfounded assassin.

"That's really smart." She complimented the girl who was busy looking for the folder.

After a few minutes of searching, Yelena saw a folder sticking out from under a pile of rubble. She pushed aside the rubble and sure enough, there was the folder with a large cookie on the front.

"Noor I found the folder!" Yelena yelled to get the attention of the other girl in the lab.

"Great, take it to the laptop and I'll be right there." Nora told the Yelena.

Yelena handed the folder to Nora and Nora pulled out a code, she typed it into the laptop and it said it would take about three minutes to find out the location.

'All our earpieces contain a transmitter so that you know the location of the person. This will make it easier for us to find Shuri." Nora informed the rather surprised assassin next to her.

"Oh that's really smart." She replied.

The three minutes were up and a map of the world appeared on the laptop, Nora saw a dot in Africa and zoomed in. Her location in Africa meant Shuri couldn't be that far yet, which was certainly a relief.

"Okay Shuri where are you?" Mutters Nora under her breath just hard enough for Yelena to hear, she placed a comfortable hand on her shoulder to reassure Nora that they are going to find her.

"We are going to find her Nora." She told the tall brunette who was bent over the laptop.

On the screen you could now see where Shuri's earpiece was, which is now just outside the borders of Wakanda. It is only a short distance and judging by the speed of the dot, Shuri's captors are not flying by plane. That offers a good chance to get Shuri back as soon as possible.

"I think they are on their way in the car." Yelena says.

"I think so too, if we catch the plane we'll catch up with them in no time." Nora tells the blond woman next to her. It's a great relief that Shuri isn't that far away yet.

"If I inform the king and Shuri's mother, you start the plane. I'll walk with you first." The tall brunette asks the little blonde.

"Yeah fine, lead the way."

The two girls quickly get out of the lab so Nora can go to T'Challa and Ramonda in the throne room to tell them what's going on while Yelena starts up the quinjet. Nora first drops Yelena off in the shed where the planes are and then reluctantly runs to the royal family.

She knocked on the door and whenever she heard a bowl coming in Nora opened the door very carefully, poking her head in first and looking around the room. Fortunately, only Ramonda and T'Challa were there. Nora stepped into the room a little shy, not really looking forward to telling the king and her best friend's mother that she had been kidnapped by some stranger and that they had taken all the files with them.

"Uhm, I uhh... I need to tell you something." Nora said as they approached the king and his mother.

"What's up Nora?" Ramonda asked a little anxiously, she'd never seen Nora so small. She always stood up straight with her head up but right now she was a little crouched.

"You might want to sit down, both of you." Nora said, changing her gaze with Shuri's mother and the king.

'It is about Shuri.' Nora begin slowly.