Chapter 14: Band Meeting

(Luke's POV)

"So we have the lyrics, what about arrangements?" Seth asked.

I pointed to Ben who was lying on the couch next to me. "Ben and I were working on them."

"The song's starting to sounds amazing." Joel commented. "It's exactly what I want it to be."

"Do we wann rehearse it?" Tedd asked. "See what else we need to work on before the album debut concert?"

"Yeah." Joel said standing up. He then pointed to Ben. "And no telling Ara about the song."

Ben raised his hands in defense. "Sorry. My bad."

"Why can't we tell Ara?" Mark asked.

"Because Joel wants to first time she hears it to be at the debut concert." I explained.

"I don't want Ara knowing anything about the song until that night." Joel added. "It's a surprise."

"Why? You like her?" Timmy asked.

"Yes." Ben said before Joel could. Joel shot him a glare to which Ben just shrugged. "You do. You're not very subtle about it."

"Isn't she married?" Stephen asked.

"She doesn't talk about about it alot." Mark added.

"Yes but it's an arranged marriage." I said.

"But still legal." Blake commented.

Joel looked down at the floor with a sigh. "Yes."

I felt my heart break a little while watching Joel try and focus on rehearsal. I felt bad for my big brother. He lights up whenever he's with Ara, almost as much as he does when he's on stage. I know he wants what's best for her and I want him to be happy because he's my brother and I love him but if Ara's married...then it can't happen. But I can't bring myself to tell Joel that. None of us can. I can't break his heart like that.

After a couple hours of rehearsing, we took a break. The band idled to themselves and Joel went to take a walk. I offered to go with him but he said he wanted to be alone. I walked around for a little bit, trying to gather my thoughts. After a few minutes, I sat down on the couch next to Ben who was fiddling with a couple of drumsticks. He looked over at me and raised an eyebrow.

"You okay?" He asked.

"I'm just worried about Joel." I confessed. "I can't imagine what he's feeling but I know he's conflicted."

"Love's tricky."

"And you've got advice for Joel?" I joked. "Aren't you single?"

Ben side eyes me and smiled. "Yes but you don't have to be in a relationship to know love's tricky or to give advice." (slight A/N: I know he's really not but this is important for the future of this au 😉)

"So do you have advice?"

Ben pointed a drumstick at me. "I never said that."

I let out a small laugh. "I just wish I knew how to help him. Or at least know what to say to him."

Joel has his heart set on this girl. She means so much to him. I don't want to see him get his heart broken or see him get hurt. Ara's family is well known and their connections are what worry me. I know my brother well enough to know he wouldn't do anything drastic but at this point, he's concerning me. I've never seen him like this with anyone. I know he's careful and whatever he ends up doing, he'll have thought it through and hopefully wouldn't do it alone. The band and I have his back and I can tell the band is starting to care a lot for Ara and I do too.

"How far do you think Joel will go for her?" Ben asked.

I sighed. "Something tells me he would go to the ends of the earth for her. He cares so much for her, more than she probably realizes."

"Why do think she doesn't talk about her marriage?" Ben flipped one of the drumsticks in the air and caught it. "Even if it's arranged, you'd think it's something she'd talk about."

If I was honest, I did agree. It was a little strnage that Ara never wanted to talk about her marriage or her husband. There were some instances where I remember seeing Ara covering her left hand, specifically her ring finger as if she didn't want people to know she was married. I know she told is it was to help her family but was she embarrassed?

"I'm sure she has her reasons." I said. "I just hope she knows now at least that we're here for her."

Our break only lasted a few more minutes before we started preparing to rehearse some more. Apparently the rest of the band had heard mine and Ben's talk but they agreed with us so I felt better knowing we were on the same page. We all set up and got ready, then silently waited for Joel to return.