Chapter 49

Peter didn't get much sleep that night. As soon as he fell asleep, he reappeared on the meadow. But this time he was not holding the dying Richard, but his sister. Bucky and Natasha found him earlier, after which they decided to eliminate Teresa in a second when they saw that she was aiming her weapon at him. Without thinking, they both fired and the brown woman fell into his arms. Sweaty he woke up from the dream. Teresa was dangerous, but he didn't want her to die. She was his sister.

After that nightmare, he went to take a long shower, hoping to clear his thoughts at least a little. He was quite glad he had a room to himself, he wouldn't want to explain to anyone now why he wasn't sleeping. It was enough that he would have to explain it to them in the morning. By agreeing not to ruin Pepper's wedding, he didn't have to be so much shared yet, but he knew it would change tomorrow.

Dressed in clean clothes, he sat on the bed and took a photo from Richard from the bedside table.

Save her, Peter. Save her... from herself. From Mary. Please. Save her.

The last words of the man who sacrificed himself for him. Did he do it just because he believed Peter could save her? Until Richard showed up, he was sure it was too late for a change. Now he had to think of Bucky. He had been a Winter Soldier for a long time, and no one but Steve believed he could ever be James Barnes again. He didn't know much about Natasha's past, but he could imagine what her life in Russia must have looked like. Loki... For all of them, they thought they wouldn't change. And now? They too were his family, for which Peter fought. If they could change, so could Teresa. He believed in it now. He had to.

A little girl who... loved the world. You. I want to believe that somewhere... deep inside... it's good in her. You have to... save her. Please.

Peter stared at the photo, wondering what it would be like to grow up together. All this could have been prevented if their mother had not been a psychopathic woman. Teresa looked so happy in that photo. He would never say that the little girl in the photo grew into the woman he met today. Mary was to blame. And Peter had never been so grateful for Dad and Pepper. At the same time, he felt a little guilty. They could not choose their parents. He was very lucky, while Teresa was not. He knew he couldn't do it, but the feeling that he could do something didn't leave him.

Do you also think it's a shame? What would it be like if our mother was a normal, not a bloodthirsty bitch incapable of maternal love? Of course, it would be different. Maybe we would have much more in common.

If I gave you a loaded pistol, you wouldn't kill me. Do you know how I know? Because I'm your sister.

You promised to take care of him. You promised to protect him from Mary! You promised you would never hurt him.

He is your brother, Teresa.

It doesn't mean anything. Am I right, my sweet brother?

Of course, it meant something. Maybe not for her, but definitely for him. She was so confident. She was convinced that it meant nothing, but the more he thought about it, the more he began to think that there was more to it. Maybe she sounded so convincing because it wasn't him or Richard she was trying to convince her of the meaning of her words. Maybe she was trying to convince herself. She cared about him. He realized she was fighting another battle. Her next fight took place between Teresa, the girl in the photo, his sister, and Teresa, created by Mary.

Peter didn't even realize how hungry he was until the first rays of sunlight shone through the window into his room. The time on the clock showed a few minutes after six o'clock in the morning. He vaguely remembered Dad insisting that breakfast be available soon because many of their guests got up very early and he didn't want them to be limited by any time limit. He didn't remember the exact time but decided to give it a try. He, therefore, went to the dining room, where there were already a few people, but no one with whom he would like to talk. He ordered green tea and pancakes, then looked around the room again, a satisfied look on his face as he saw Bucky sitting in the corner.

"Can I join you?" he asked as he approached.

Bucky just nodded and drank his coffee as he studied the young Stark inquisitively. "You didn't get much sleep, did you?"

"I've had better nights," Peter grinned. And much worse nights, he thought.

"Do you want to talk about it? About yesterday?"

"I know I will have to, but I still don't know how to deal with it. It's too personal," he muttered reluctantly. He wanted to avoid it for a while longer. He needed to think carefully about what he was going to tell them because he didn't want his dream to come true.

"Of course, it's personal when someone goes after you and your family," he said understandingly but didn't push him any further, for which Peter was glad.

"I didn't mean it like that, but that's doesn't matter," he sighed, taking a mug of green tea from the waitress with a small smile. He didn't like it very much, but he hoped it would kick him a little after that sleepless night. "So, do you like Aunt Nat?" He asked with a mischievous smile.

The brown-haired man rolled his eyes at him in surprise. "Et tu Brute? What do you all have with that?"

"There's nothing going on here that no one knows about," he grinned.

"In that case, you all see something that does not exist. I'd rather no one mentioned it, because even though I'm a super soldier, it won't help me much in a fight with the Hulk," he said a little gloomily.

Peter had to laugh. "Nothing to worry about. I think that when she first came to us, my father liked her too," he told him. "But if you stand between her and Bruce, believe me, the Hulk will not be your only problem," he suddenly warned him.

Bucky had to smirk at that for a change. "As I say, I don't like her, so you don't have to be afraid. Plus, I wouldn't stand a chance with her after I shot her twice."

"What?! Did you shoot Aunt Nat?" Peter snapped in surprise.

"Good morning," said the incoming redhead, who sat down next to Peter. "How are you?"

"I just found out that Bucky shot you twice, how are you?!" he yelled.

"What are you telling him here?" she asked James, but she didn't wait for his answer. "It was a long time ago. It wasn't Bucky, it was Winter Soldier," she explained, watching him slowly stop panicking.

"Jesus, why don't you say it right away, Bucky?" He snorted. "I almost had a heart attack."

Bucky just chuckled.

"Ah, exactly the group of people I want to see," Tony said, suddenly appearing with a cup of coffee in his hand. "Rhodey's up, too, so he'll join us in a moment and we can start."

"So, Tones, can we expect a new addition to the family in nine months?" Natasha teased him as he sat down next to Bucky.

"Nat!" Peter moaned. "Not in front of me, please!" He was excited about his parents' wedding, but he really didn't need to know about some things.