Chapter 34

Peter was sitting at a table in the workshop, eating a sandwich and tapping his thigh with his free hand to the beat of AC / DC songs. He played the music so loud that he didn't even notice that his amused father had entered the workshop, and it wasn't until Friday muted the music at his request that he noticed him and nearly choked on a piece of sandwich. "Is it - disturbing - you?" he asked between coughs.

Tony walked past him and slapped him in the back. Peter raised his thumb and drank some water. "Not at all. Even if it's too loud, you have good taste," he winked at him and pulled a chair up to him. He placed two boxes of food on the table." I thought we'd have lunch together, but you ran over me."

He grinned. "I'm in puberty, I have to eat a lot. Plus, I'm a superhero."

His dad laughed. "You're right. God, I remember it like yesterday when you got your skills. You robbed us of a refrigerator. You punched a hole in the wall in the living room with an ordinary tennis ball!"

"Or how I walked across the ceiling," he reminded him because in retrospect they both found it really amusing.

"That one I'll never forget," Tony chuckled. "I thought Pepper was going crazy and I'm going to have a heart attack. That was awful," he complained abruptly, opening his box, "we don't do anything together anymore."

"Yeah," Peter muttered, looking at his portion of fried noodles with interest, "you and mom have a coming wedding, and the world isn't on fire yet."

"Then don't joke about it at all," Tony warned him, taking his first bite. "I didn't mean spending time together in our suits, although I admit that in the beginning, it was quite nice. But I miss this workshop of ours, movie nights, dinner together... and so on," he added vaguely. After all, he wasn't much out of emotion, especially in front of his son.

"Yeah, but I get it," Peter assured him. "I know you've had enough now. I was... when we got back from the lab... I'd rather be alone. It was easier." he admitted to him. "But I miss it too. But I believe that when you are Mr. and Mrs. Stark, it will return to normal," he grinned.

Tony reached out and squeezed his shoulder tightly. He smiled at him. "You're a great boy, Peter. When the children were handed out, we got the best of them all."

"Stop it, Dad, or you'll make me cry," Peter muttered, moved. "So, are you nervous about having a wife?" he changed the subject quickly.

"What do you all have with it? You're like your mom," Tony laughed. "I don't have nerves. Almost everything stays the same, doesn't it? We'll be married, but it won't change our relationship. So, now it's your turn. What's new with Michelle?" he asked.

A wide smile appeared on Peter's face. It had been some time since reconciliation with Michelle, and he felt how relieved he was and how life had eased again. Suddenly he stopped seeing everything so black, the cheerful Peter was back, doing other things than just sitting in his room, and of course, he also visited the Avengers regularly. "Well, it's great. It works for us. Yeah, I think everything's fine again," he nodded enthusiastically. At first, there were a few embarrassments between them for a few days, but then it got back on track. And Peter was really happy about that. He must look at Michelle's problem from her point of view, not from his. If he had a problem with his parents, it probably wouldn't be so hard for him to tell anyone about it. But if he was in Michelle's skin, he would probably act like her. He was sorry he had ridden her like that back then, but he had no idea how hard it would be for her...

"I'm glad to hear that, really," Tony replied, smiling as well. "I'm looking forward to her coming here again, and especially to be at our wedding. I'm glad you figured it out. She's a great girl. And I'm proud of you for dealing with it," he told him. "You've probably already known that by now, but... Stark never gives up, you know? And I'm so glad you are after me in this, and you fought for Michelle too," he told him proudly.

Peter's words warmed his heart. Stark never gives up. Yes. At the same time, he did not miss a small hint. I'm so glad you're after me in this. After him, not after Mary. Because if he were like her, he would run away.

"Dad..." he muttered suddenly. Tony looked up. "When it comes to the wedding... do you invite Bucky? You don't have to... you don't have to answer me right away. I know we got in a fight because of it last time. But please. He's not bad. Could you... could you promise me you'll at least think about it? Because of me?"

Tony sighed. "Come on," he growled. "I'll think about it. I promise. And now take the food. "

•••

"Hello, Pep," Natasha said as she peered into the kitchen, where she surprisingly found only her. She took off her black sunglasses and raised her eyebrows. "Isn't Peter here? I agreed with him to pick him up and go to the compound."

"Nice to see you too, Nat," Pepper laughed. "He's in the workshop," she told her, then sighed. "Is he leaving again? He'll just come home for a night in a moment."

Natasha grinned. "You know, he has all his favorite superheroes there. What's more, he seemed to have a great time with Bucky."

"That's not strange, given that Peter seems to have a weakness for lost existences," a suddenly sarcastic voice said, and Loki stepped inside.

"Well, apparently he inherited it from someone in the family," Natasha replied, winking at Pepper. "Hi, Rock of Ages."

"Romanov," he said.

"I'm going to pick him up so we can go--"

"Nat, wait a minute, please," Pepper said suddenly. "I need to talk to you about something." She wasn't sure why she was so nervous, but Nat was her best friend, and she was afraid she would reject her.

"Sure. What's the matter?" she asked, a little surprised.

"Well, how would I said it..." Pepper cleared her throat, glancing at her cautiously. "I want you to be my maid of honor."

Natasha looked dismayed. But in the best sense of the word. She didn't expect such a request, even though she and Pepper were close enough. But that she would want her as a maid oh honor... her! "Pep," she said hoarsely, in a voice she didn't recognize at all and realized in horror that there was a sense of emotion in it, "it will be my greatest pleasure. But now I really need to get Peter, or we'll be late."

She was just out the door, Loki grinned. "Watching Romanov's uncertainty is an amazing sight."

"Don't laugh too much," Pepper smiled mysteriously, but she was still nervous, "I need to ask you something, too."

Loki looked horrified. "You can't have two maids of honor, can you?"

She laughed softly. "Well, that's not exactly what I was talking about... I wanted to ask you ... if you would take me to the altar. Together with Peter. I... I don't have a father anymore, and you're one of my best friends," she said softly and took his hands uncertainly. She looked into his shocked face. "I wish it was you. Besides, I hope that it will be a good enough reason for you to appear at the wedding. Is the duty to take the bride to the altar a good enough?"

You're a good enough reason to show up, Loki thought, but he could only nod. Pepper smiled. "So, you agree?"

How could he say no to her?

Of course, he agreed.