Chapter 5: Breaking Point

Start from the beginning

"Do you want to hang out during lunch today? You've been completely by yourself this past few weeks and it would be nice to spend some time together." Nathan asked breaking the silence between the two kids that were walking to school early in the morning.

"I'm good. I actually enjoy being alone but thanks for asking I guess." Cassie said not trying to sound rude. The truth was that she didn't want to eat lunch with Nathan bc that would imply having to eat with Jake, Hannah, and the others.

"Listen if it's because of Jake and the others..." Nate began to say knowing the exact reason why Cassie didn't want to eat lunch with him but the girl cut him off before he could continue his sentence.

"It's not that." Cassie lied not wanting to ruin Nathan's already established 'friendships', after all, she didn't know for how much longer she would be around him. There was still a little part of her that held hope that Five would eventually come looking for her.

"Then what is it? I know they can be a handful sometimes but if you give them a chance..." Nathan said turning to look down at Cassie who was standing next to him. He knew the girl was lying.

"I know but I don't think I mix well with them that's all," Cassie said looking up at Nathan giving him a reassuring smile trying to make him drop the subject.

"Cass... I know there's more to it you can tell me."

"Do you really want me to?" Cassie said a little unsure if she should tell him what she really thought about his friends.

"I would prefer it if you did," Nathan said.

"Fine." The girl said giving up. "I just don't understand how you can be friends with such people. I understand that you and Jake have been friends for years but he is just full of himself and thinks he can get away with anything he doesn't even try to hide it. Not to mention he has his minions who are also willing to do anything he does to gain his approval because they are convinced he holds some power over them. One day they will realize it's not worth it. Also, there's Hannah, who if you haven't noticed already is very into you. I mean, she is constantly throwing herself at you trying to get your attention and you're clueless. She is shallow and not to mention that she acts all nice when you're around but she didn't hesitate to threaten me the first day I met her because she thinks I'm a threat to her imaginary relationship with you." Cassie blurted out letting out everything she thought about Nathan's group of friends leaving him completely speechless. "Listen, I don't expect you to stop being friends with them that's your decision to make. You're an amazing person Nate, you're kind, caring, charismatic, and most importantly a person with a huge heart but I'm afraid they might take advantage of that in the future. Just be careful." The girl said looking up at Nathan in the most genuine way possible but before he could say anything she just turned around and walked into the school by herself since they had arrived at their destination.

—————=+=—————

Later that day Cassie crossed paths with Nathan in the hallways a few times while he was hanging out with the people she had shown her distaste for earlier that day. The girl couldn't help but notice how Nathan's behavior was completely different than other days. Usually, he would be talking and laughing with his group of friends but today he just followed them around not interacting much with them.

After what Cassie told him, Nathan became more self-aware of his friends' behavior. It wasn't like Nathan couldn't regularly tell when his friends were being assholes to other people in school, in fact, he always noticed and tried to distance himself from those certain situations, but today was different. Today he was starting to notice the small things like how they talked about meaningless things and acted fake around others just to seem superior.