Chapter 2: Sarcasm and Shitty Coffee Keeps Me Sane

Start from the beginning

The bus was crowded again, forcing you to suck in a breath and stand, one hand on the strap and the other fumbling to get the phone out of your pocket. Pastries and spill-proof mug tucked away in your bag. You decided to finally check your email, it was better to respond to the person in charge of your grade as soon as possible.

You tapped into the icon and clicked the newest unread email, scanning through the contents before you nearly dropped your phone in shock. The words on the screen clearly stated that the dreaded five page essay was due tomorrow. You felt like your insides were being thrown around as the bus stopped to pick up more riders, you couldn't believe you forgot about your homework.

Usually, Bailey kept a log of every project that was due and the rubrics, neatly tacked up on the living room cork board. You realized that she was probably so busy with her own work that she forgot to tack up yours alongside hers. You shut your eyes tightly at the revelation and pressed your forehead to your raised arm, groaning lowly into your jacket.

Suddenly the bus lurched forward, stopping abruptly and causing you to fall towards the ground before the bus jerked back, causing you to follow. Your hand slipped from the strap on the ceiling as a murmur came from the other passengers. Before you could split your skull on the sticky rubber floor though, a strong arm wrapped around your torso and pinned you to an even stronger chest. It felt like you were being held by a giant.

You caught your breath, your heart beating wildly at the prospect that you almost died.

As the bus started moving once more you turned your eyes up to see your saviour and maybe gently ask to be let go of--

On second thought, maybe you were just fine staying in his arms.

The man holding onto your waist securely was very tall, that was your first observation. He was a giant. Then you studied his face a bit more, he had a light stubble, the same color as his dirty blonde hair, cut short and fluffy. He had a splatter of soft freckles under his eyes, nearly hidden by the faded circles of insomnia. His nose looked like he had been in a fight or an accident in his youth, slightly bent in the middle.

Then his eyes fell to yours and you almost died right on the spot.

This man's eyes were a gorgeous honey brown, the kind that made you think of sunflowers and drizzled caramel on warm honey buns. His eyelids drooped slightly, making him seem inviting and kind as a sweet half smile found its way to his lips.

"Are you alright there, miss?" His deep voice had a gentle southern drawl, making your heart squeeze in your chest as he carefully helped you stand, his large hand on your back to steady you.

You had to take a minute to breathe as your face flushed fifty shades of pink, your eyes wide. "I'm.." you cleared your throat, not liking how your voice stuttered. "I'm alright. Thanks for catching me, I greatly prefer you over the floor." He raised an eyebrow at the comment, laughing under his breath. "Is that so?"

Shit, that slipped right past your lips, now he was staring at you as you fumbled for more words.

You were saved by the bus coming to a stop, conveniently your stop. You glanced over your shoulder and just pointed, opening your mouth to speak but nothing coming out. The man just laughed again and nodded his head, letting you smile back and rush off the bus.

You nearly slipped on the ice as you ran inside through the back door, your mind still reeling from the encounter with the handsome stranger. You just couldn't seem to shake the bubbly feeling in your chest as you thought about his large calloused hands and his kind honey eyes and--

In your daze you nearly ran headfirst into another person, barely able to stop yourself before you could crash into them.

"Woah! Dude chill out, what's the rush?" It was Landon, blonde stoner Landon. A far cry from who you now dubbed 'handsome bus man.'