Chapter 8

In the living room, Klaus is being creative working on an abstract painting on an easel and Kara reads a book also admiring him as Rebekah walked in

"What took you so long?" Klaus asked, not turning around but kept the focus on his painting.

"Alaric didn't want to hand over the stake, Luckily I'm quite the charmer," Rebekah told him, showing him the stake. 

"That's it?"

"The last of the white oak stakes that can kill us. Do you want to do the honors or shall I?" Rebekah questioned as Klaus finally put the paintbrush down, takes the stake from Rebekah, and throws it into the flames in the fireplace as the flames flare up around the stake.

"Well, that's that then."

"Pack your bags, we're leaving."

 "Today?" She questioned.

"Why not? There's nothing keeping us here. We'll grab the doppelgänger, I have my girl and be off by sunset." Klaus said smiling softly at Kara, her smiling back at her.

"But tonight is the decade dance." 

"So?"

"So, I'm head of the committee, we have to go."

"I'm not going to any dance." 

"Caroline will be there." 

"How many times do I to say it I don't fancy Caroline." Klaus told Rebekah sternly being serious on that matter.

"Please, I have big plans for tonight. Just go for me." 

"Okay, fine. One last hoorah." Klaus agreed. 

"One last hoorah, Nik."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Kara wasn't the one to dress up much and she surely wasn't going to dress up like the 1920's so she went with something simple to meet Nik at the dance.

"You're beautiful."

"Thank you Nik and don't you look dashing," Kara told him kissing his lips.

"Where is Rebekah?"

"No idea love." Nik said to her, pulling her closer to him by her waist.

"Did you even try to find her?"

"Fine darling."

As Nik got his phone out of his pocket, he grabbed Kara's hand, pulling her gently outside, 

"Rebekah call me back immediately! I only came to this ridiculous dance because you begged me to and now you're nowhere to be found." Nik left a voicemail as Kara saw a salt line ahead, she stopped walking.

"What is that Nik?" Kara asked him, both sensing that someone is behind them both turned around to see Stefan walking up towards them.

"Your mother is back." Stefan said walking away indicating for them to follow. 

They both followed Stefan into a classroom to see several candles are lit and Bonnie is chanting.

"What's taking so long?! All boundary spells have a loophole." Nik yelled at them as Kara grabbed his hand in comfort as Matt entered.

"People are walking right out of the dance, past the barrier." Matt told them, 

"Matt and I can leave, we can stop Esther ourselves. We just gotta find out where she is."

 As Jeremy said that Nik looked at Kara to which she nodded her head as a yes, she understood why Nik was looking at her like that.

"It's a suicide, Jeremy." Klaus rushes over grabs Jamie by the throat and starts to strangle him.

"Suicide would be disappointing me! Now work your magic, witch, or I'll start killing people you fancy."

"Let him go!" Bonnie yelled at Klaus.

"Not until you get us out of here."

"Ah, don't be stupid, Klaus. Bonnie doesn't give a damn about us. The only reason she's helping us right now is to save Caroline and Tyler. You start killing the people she cares about, she'll tell us all to go to hell." Stefan told Klaus as he let them go.

Klaus separated from them with Kara by his side, 

"When we leave here I want you back at the mansion where you will wait for me."

But Ni- "

"Kara."  

"Fine."