Whatever happened, or if things worsened, Avery felt comfort knowing her dad would be around. Accepting that sleep was not her best friend at the moment, she decided to make use of her time.

Suddenly, Avery felt pumped. Her years of experience as a reliable paralegal secretary came in handy. She began logging her arguments in bullet points mentally. Canceling the wedding was non-negotiable. She needed a new surrounding, a reason for moving without hinting permanently. She could go through with the pregnancy with the guidance and care of her parents.

In Shelly's fashion: I DON'T NEED YOU, AND I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR FACE! She couldn't help but smile, imagining her best friend saying it. How she wished she was as bold and brave as her best friend.

Maybe in another life, she might transform into AVERY 2.0! Realization sunk into her. Was her lack of boldness and bravery the reason David cheated on her? Of course, but in his words, nothing was wrong with her.  It just happened. The same reasoning is cut out from usual infidelity-themed movies. Which, up to now, Avery found unfair. Because if the tables were turned and God forbid she was the cheater, she would have a definite reason for doing such a thing. One fucking good reason, most probably. And as Miss Organized, she would have served David her bullet points of justifications on a silver platter.

Fuck, David! You don't just impregnate a random woman, move to where she is while awaiting her delivery, and end up in the hospital bed, cradling a newborn. All because there's nothing wrong with your fiancee; everything just happened, and despite all those messes, you still love your fiancee and can't live without her!

How stupid did he think she was?

***

Her alone time had added to her inability to sleep, causing Avery's adrenaline rush. After eating breakfast, she felt more energized. She took a shower and opted to wear the same dress she had on when she accepted David's marriage proposal. It was to give a statement. What started with her yes, ends with her no. She sprayed on a perfume different from what David liked her wearing. She curled her long straight hair for the first time. She made sure she looked the part she was aiming for: a different Avery.

After checking herself in the mirror, their doorbell rang just a few minutes later.  The time on Avery's cell phone said 9:35 AM. Sorry, Atty. Thomas, but the showtime starts at 10 AM! Avery whispered to herself.

When their housekeeper knocked on Avery's bedroom door to inform her of David's arrival, she instructed him to wait. This would be happening in her own time.

Exactly five minutes before 10 AM, Avery descended the stairs. As she stepped toward the living room, she saw David seated on the couch. It surprised her he was also wearing the long-sleeved shirt he had worn when he proposed. David had lost weight since she last saw him. He had bags under his eyes and longer hair; she could tell he was nervous. Avery knew very well because David was cracking his knuckles. She always placed the same knuckles between her hands and kissed them to appease him whenever his nerves were killing him.

As she got nearer, she uttered, God, please help me. Please give me strength.

It seemed to take him a few minutes to recognize Avery. Though she seemed different, she still mesmerized him. Then, a sudden jolt of fear hit him. Avery was doing okay without him—an idea he refused to entertain.

Immediately, David stood up and approached Avery. He aimed to kiss her and wrap his arms around her. God knew how much he missed her, but it disappointed him when Avery turned away from him. Instead, she power-walked toward the couch and motioned for him to sit again.

"Hi! How are you, babe?" David asked, handing her a bouquet of pink and red carnations. "This is for you."

"I'm excellent. Thank you."