Chapter 1-Unwarm Welcome

It had been over four years since Astrid, or anyone for that matter had seen hiccup. For a while, everyone mourned at the thought of his death, but no body meant no Viking funeral. Stoick took it the hardest. His only son is now dead after being so close to getting to kill his first dragon. For a while he didn't want to believe it, they searched the entire island multiple times for anything. But they found absolutely nothing.
Eventually, Stoick gave up and put himself into chief work more than ever. For a while, things were bleak, or at least more than usual for berk. but in recent years things had been looking up. Dragons hadn't been attacking as often, and they had even saved enough food for all of winter before schedule.
But just because dragons had been attacking less didn't mean that they never showed up.
Astrid was in the middle of sharpening her axe at home just before bed when a horn blared. notifying the entire village there was a dragon attack. She hopped up as quickly as she could grabbing her shield and placed it on her back. She ran out seeing an array of dragons. Ones she hadn't even seen before, ones inside clouds of smoke, others with the wingspan of an entire fleet of ships.
She dipped and dodged the fire and spikes that came towards her as she weaved through the bodies of the bigger Vikings. she finally made it to who she was looking for at a blacksmith's window.
"Fishlegs!! What are all these dragons!?" Astrid yelled.
The boy turned, shrouding behind the shudders even though he was way too big for them to protect his whole body. "Monstrous nightmares, changwings, deadly Nadders-and more I've never seen before!" Fishlegs was practically hyperventilating, "there are hundreds of them, they're attacking in groups-like it's all been planned!"
"Planned, what do you mean?" Astrid pushed, "dragons don't plan things they just attack."
"I'm saying I think something is telling them what to do!" Fishlegs shivered even at his own words.
"Do you really think it could be it?" Astrid's voice quieted as if talking about it would bring bad luck.
He shrugged, looking around, "I think it must be."
"We'll have to watch out just in-Fishlegs watch out!" Astrid yelled as a blue blast came flying towards them. Astrid took the shield from her back, blocking the attack.
They watched a black and blue blur of a dragon go flying overhead, it was a night fury but it seemed huge. Bigger than any others of its species they'd seen before.
They looked at each other and both ran to find the chief. They had spotted what all of Berk hoped to be a tale, a new story to scare little kids from leaving the house after dark, The dragon king. It was rumored to be a huge blue and black night fury, that lead hundreds of other dragons from fireworms to whispering deaths. Astrid had thought it to be fake, Fishlegs had only hoped.
They found stoick up on a hill fighting a large red monstrous nightmare, jumping back once it lit aflame.
"Stoick! Chief!" Astrid and Fishlegs yelled, a roar went over and the dragon flew away, and all dragons that could get away did.
"Astrid!" Stoick turned to them, "Fishlegs! Why aren't you down there helping get rid of them!"
"Because we saw something you really need to-" Fishlegs words were masked by a loud blast going over the town, lighting it up with blue and purple waves. Before the same blur went shooting through it and down. They watched for a moment as it went near dragons that were caught in nets or tied in ropes, and easily cut through the restraints.
"The dragon king," Stoick scowled, looking to the two with him, "did you know this?"
"This is what we were trying to tell you," Fishlegs cowered.
Astrid looked out at the dragon blur and looked at her chief, "if we take it down I'm sure the dragons will cease to attack. They'll all leave without a leader."
"Good idea. I'll load the catapults. We're killing it tonight," Stoick ordered, and they all went off to do what they could to get the monster out of the sky.
Astrid went to help subdue dragons that were burning buildings and swiping away Vikings. She'd swing and slash at those attacking but couldn't hit a single one. They'd attack in groups so the most she could do alone was get those being targeted out of danger.
Fishlegs went to help Gobber fix weapons and make more for those fighting. He'd replaced hiccup's spot after he failed the dragon killing training. He honestly preferred not being out in battle, it was easier to hide.
Stoick went to prepare a catapult to shot it Down, Even kill it if he could. They'd been going after it for years now he had to get it. Hiccup had tried too hard to catch and kill one. Maybe if he could do it maybe his guilt towards losing him could be lifted.
~
Weaving through crowds and building the night fury cut out the dragons they could find captured. After setting free a group of gronckles, it soared up, scanning for other dragons. It swerved out of the way as Boulder came flying at it. It Tumbled before zipping through into the crowd of dragons above the village.
Everyone waited in anticipation and fear. Then there was a blast from the night fury, and the dragons scattered out, and the dragon king dove. Stoick took the chance to throw stone bolas in the hope it would catch. And it did, wrapping up the tail and legs together as it plummeted.
"The dragon king is down!" yelled Stoick, as a crowd backed away as it fell to the ground, lying there in a heap of wings and scales.
It wasn't long until the ropes were cut and the dragon stood up as something sprang out from behind it. a boy. he was lean with ragged brown hair, but his most redeeming quality was the lack of one leg. the boy pulled a sword from its sheath, and the sword lit aflame.
and a familiar voice came from within him, "You hurt my dragons. now I'm going to hurt you."
Stoick stood in shock as the grip on his axe loosened.
"hiccup?"