Chapter 1

Sirius sat on his bed, for once in his life at a loss for words. He could get over a lot, but this gonna stay with him forever.

"We couldn't have known he'd do that? Maybe that note was for something else" James has been trying to rationalize this for the past few days. There was no way he could. Written a blood-stained note was All there's names. Sirius' and James' several times.

James was taking a personal hit from this. Lily dumped him, he had to resign from his headboy position and suffered a hard loss against Ravenclaw for the Quidditch cup.

"James we all know what the note said." Remus finally spoke his first words that night.

"They say he's waking up." Peter said. That brought a little relieve, but not much.

Sirius climbed off his bunk and onto James' Mattress. "Prongs, just go to sleep." his hands caressed his friend's hair in an attempt to calm him down.

James sunk into Sirius touch. The perpetually upbeat boy started to cry like a first year.

Sirius didn't judge. If he was so emotionally stunted he'd cry too. If James was a mess over this he couldn't imagine how Severus was feeling.

***
Sirius snuck out that night while his friends were asleep. He loved them, but he needed to so this himself. He needed to see Severus and assure himself this wasn't as bad as everyone was making it out to be.

He's done far worse to Severus and delivered worse injuries. It was probably like the time Severus stayed out of lesson for a week over a little jinx. Yeah it couldn't that bad.

Sirius peaked pass a curtain. Nothing could've prepared him for what he saw next. Severus laid there with badges on his neck and the side of his face. He was groaning in pain.

"Who's there?" despite how it devastated his body, Severus sat up.

Sirius could risk getting caught. It's a miracle he wasn't already kicked out. In his quick thinking he decided on one option.
***
Severus looked before him and saw a big black dog. He huffed, "How did a mutt get on campus?" nobody was around. It wouldn't hurt to give it a little pet. He moved over and let his hands comb through it's fur.

Of course madam Pomfrey stopped sorting medicine to come to Severus' aid.

"Dont worry its just a mutt." Severus explained. His hands still never left its fur.

"I'll send its on it's way-"

"No! I mean it's not bothering me." Severus now had both hands on the dog who was now laying on him.

After what happened Pomfrey allowed this rule to be bent a little.

**

After Severus fell asleep Sirius tried to leave, but the boy didn't allow it. He was cuddling the pup like his life depended on it. 'It's the least you can do and he smells unusually nice.' Sirius licked the other's face and watch him smile a bit.

For the first time he saw the Slytherin genuine smile.