Chapter 5: Mistakened Guard

Start from the beginning

"Oh there you are!"

"Here I am?"

I asked the guy in a fine tuxedo, his gray hair waxed perfectly, and his shoes neatly polished. "Yes! You're the applying to be guard on duty eh? Well then, come with me to the office." Guard on duty? "I think you're mistaken." I told him. "Mistaken about what?" He asked. "The 'guard on duty' thing." I said. "Perhaps, the royal body guard for the princess? Is that what you applied for?" He asked. For the princess? That means I can talk to her then! "Yes! I applied for the royal body guard thing." I answered. "Good then!" He said and we made our way to the office. "Whose office is this?" I asked. "Mine! I'm Sir Pendleward, in charge of the household authority." He said. "That's a long name." I told him. "That's just my last name. What's your name?" He suddenly asked. "Jackson Overland. People call me Jack." I said.

"Where's your papers?"

"Papers?"

He smiled. "So I can fill out the paperwork for your application. Speaking of, sit down, I have to ask you questions." I gulped. "Sadly, I didn't bring any papers. I'm just a peasant, selling bread. I thought being royal body guard doesn't require any 'shabadah' kind of thing." I said. He looked at me surprisingly. "Shabadah?" He asked. "You know, complicated. Or lots of things. Anyway, hear me out! I have no papers for you to fill out, I only have pure intentions to your castle, and believe me I don't want to exploit the royal family's riches. I just want a job to feed my mom and sister. Isn't that too bad?" I told him. "Well then, since nobody else is in line up for the job, I guess you have it then." He said and smiled at me. "Thank you!" I said. "Wait, before you go there are things I want to tell you." He said.

"Thee are rules you must know as a royal body guard! Especially guarding the princess."

"Okay...?"

"How old are you?" He suddenly asked. "17, maybe 18...I can't keep track of my age. I rarely celebrate my birthday!" I said, but I guess I'm 18. "If that's the case! You only guard the princess, not get touchy with her!" I nodded. I will never be touchy with Rapunzel, of course. "As a royal body guard, follow what the princess wants! Except if what she wants violates the code." I nodded again. "Most of all, be early and always guard her wherever, whenever, however. Except, of course in some personal activities." He said. "Yes!" I exclaimed and he let me go.

"Um, Overland, you may now escort the princess from this day forth."

"Of course, I will."

I hurried out to the hallway. Where can Rapunzel be? After a few turns, I found myself in the kitchen. Maybe I can ask the chefs. "Um, hello?" I asked. One turned to me. "Oh! Who might you be?" He asked me. "Jackson Overland, sir. I'm the new bodyguard to the princess." I said. "Why are you here in the kitchen? Anything a chef can do for you or the princess?" He asked. "For me, actually. I didn't had the chance to ask Sir Pendleward where Princess Rapunzel may be." I asked her. "Right now she's in her room. Well, I guess she wants to be alone for now. She's acting pretty strange! Letting Martha throw away all of her books!" I widened my eyes. Her books? Aren't those her 'life'? "Where's her bedroom?" I asked him. "To your right, up the stairs, then left, and right again and then last turn to the left and there you are!" He said. "Thank you." I said then did as he said. I went to the right, then upstairs, left, right agian and a little more to the left. I arrived at a large door, decorated with golden flower and a violet background. Pretty arttistic. I knocked on the door.

"Yes?"

"Um, princess, may I come in?"

There was no response. "Princess Rapunzel?" I called out again. "Yes...?" I opened the door and found Rapunzel painting on canvas. "JACK?!?" She exclaimed my name. I pretty much smiled awkwardly. "What are you doing here?" She asked me. "I got a job in here. To feed Emma and mom." I answered. "As what?" She asked. "As your royal body guard. So, we'll pretty much see each other everyday." I said, and I felt she's grumpy about this. "That's crazy! I mean, not crazy, but it's good...for you. Now you've got a real job now, not that selling bread isn't a real job but," She suddenly saw me staring. "You know what I mean." She continued. "How are you?" I asked her. "Fine, you know." She said. "No, how are you really? I heard from the chef you threw all away your books." I said and she grew quiet. "I came to a sudden realization that you were right! I should think selflessly. All throughout, I've been really selfish! And now, I want what's best for the kingdom. I'm studying politics. All there is to know about being future queen of the land. So, I threw all away my not-anymore-needed childish books." She said. I know she's hurt by calling it herself 'childish' books.

"Listen, I was wrong Punzie!"

"No, you weren't."

How can I convince her if she doesn't have that 'optimistic' side anymore?!? "Look at this painting Jack, it's a beautiful scenery! It's my kingdom's future." She said with a grin. "Are you out of you mind? Punzie, I was wrong. Until now! And, you're wrong too! I mean, come on, this isn't you. You're the jolly, creative, free-spirited princess everyone knows." I told her. "Not everyone I suppose." She said. "I have to act like the future queen. An dall the traits you described me isn't what a future queen should be. I have to be daring, bold and wise." She said with her chin up high. "I don't care how long this is gonna take, as long as I can convince you to change your mind." I said. "Oh, yeah. You're gonna be here all the time now!" She said. "That's a good thing right?" I asked her. "Perhaps, yes? I guess so." She said. "Now let's get to work!" I told her. "What work?" She said. "Convincing you?" I said and she sighed.

This is gonna be a heck of a ride.

--------------------------

Yay! Finally updated! And guys, I couldn't think of a new part for RotBF!!!! :(