chapter 6

Yesterday, we were staring up at the stars.
Today, your punching me in the face.

...
..

_______________________

You felt your hands sweat, and soak the excess into the cape gripped in your hands. You, had a plan. The edge of the fountain had some water carried on it, and it soaked into your pants(/skirt). This was an outfit similar to the one you had worn the day you two had met, just with a twist. Sharp edges, and a crimson tint. It made you look angrier. Of course, you were upset. Venti had abandoned you over and over again, running off with that traveler. You couldn't understand. What did she have that you didn't? You sighed. The question was... why did Venti matter so much? Your hands gripped your thighs. "Having a rough day?" A voice called. The traveler. Her hand was extended before you, a grin on her face. You couldn't help but feel irritated. You flipped the cape over onto your back, clasping the hooks near your neck together so it stayed on. You could feel the hydro vision, clipped heavy onto your back.
"Uh... honorary... knight?"
"Lumine. It's Lumine."

"Sorry."
You fiddled with the cape again. Lumine sat down next to you, and withdrew her hand. Her eyes were half-shut, and sympathetic. "Who's this someone your missing?" You turn to stare at her, questioning. "I know the feeling." Your hands stopped their movement, and you finally met her gaze. Wasn't she... the girl who fought the dragon, looking for her sibling? Oh. Oh. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I can't-" You stand up. "Venti wouldn't like this. I - I was supposed to wait for him. I'm sorry. This has been a terrible week, and-" Lumine stares at you. "Venti-? Oh, your that person he's always chattering about! But Venti... Don't you mean... Barbatos?" You stare at her in shock. Barbatos? The Archon?
Your conversation continues for an hour.

-
The sun has climbed higher into the sky, resting itself upon a pedestal, where it's rays reach down to dry the edge of the fountain. This time your standing, not sitting. Your anxious. There's a lot. A lot of explaining, a lot of things happening. And the fact you punched Diluc in the face. Why?

You threw your glass across the empty tavern. Diluc stared. You were, very clearly, drunk. "It's not FUCKING fair!" You screeched. "How could he... gaslight... infest.. HE LEFT ME!" You ran to your cracked mug, picked it up, and threw it again. "Well... he has feelings for you. Maybe the way he acts... is justified?" Past conversations led to punch. The way he validated it. The manipulation, the things happening behind the scenes. It made you wonder if Diluc had always been the same way, and if you could love him the way you thought you did.
You switched to a Cats Tail membership the next day.
Fuck Diluc.
You hoped that some day you could punch him again.

A whirlwind of green attacked you, infesting itself into your ribcage. Venti laughed, and squeezed his face against your chest, nestling into you. "I've missed you, so so so much!" You nodded. "I've missed you too." It came out in a hoarse whisper. Not because he was squeezing you a little too tight, with a bit too much force, but because you felt you could never view him the same way again. Not after everything was in front of your eyes. The lies he had told, the things he had done. You peeled the bard off of you, and stared at him. Act. You were good at that.

"Let's go up to the cliff, Venti!"

You stared at Katheryne, mouth agape. "What." She stared back at you, sympathetic. "The Adventurers Guild is letting you go. Your commissions are backfiring, and being frank... people just don't like you." Your chest tightened with hurt. You had needed this. As a job, as a coping mechanism, as an escape. Would the friends you had made leave you too? Would Fischl and Bennet turn their backs on you, no longer wishing for you to tag along on adventures? Was this what you had come too? You turned away, eyes filled with tears. Of course, Venti was there. Right on time. He knew exactly what was wrong, what you needed to be comforted with. Problem was, you never told him.

As you climbed up the cliff with Venti, the sky began to cry. Funny. You wanted to cry too. Everything, all of it, was his fault. You couldn't believe you felt anger towards Lumine. It wasn't what she had that was different. It was what she didn't have. And what she didn't have? A parasite. Named Barbatos. You could hardly look at him as Venti anymore. So, the entire trek, you stayed mostly silent, only speaking when spoken too. Which wasn't much. Venti mostly talked about himself. You just wanted to whip around, to scream. But you were saving it. You needed the words to bubble over, and spill out. Rather than struggle to find what to stay. That would give him an opening. It would make you weak.

Rosaria stared into your eyes, her grip on your wrist tightening. "You stupid bitch." You winced, and looked down at your feet. Her gaze was difficult to meet. "Don't let him do this to you, please." You felt tears prick at the corners of your eyes. But this was what you wanted. Or, rather, Venti. You tugged your wrist from the nuns grip, and moved your arms to the pole arm strapped to your back. You undid the strap, and the spear dropped to the floor. You bent over to pick it up, and handed it to her. "I'm sorry, but I have to resign from your training." She stared at you, heartbroken. You two had developed something she believed to be special. And you did, too. Rosaria knew it was Venti. Threatening you, scaring you into saying these things. But she was terrified too. She didn't know how to help. The one thing she didn't understand was how he looked at you. Demanding, cold. Like he could summon the force of a thousand winds and replace you with someone else who would do it. You hugged her, and leaned close to her ear. And whispered. "I love you."

You had never loved Diluc. He had never felt for you the way she did. Now, you couldn't see the most supportive person in your life. Truth be told, you were terrified.

The top of StarSnatch cliff was something you'd never grow tired of. You could see everything. The world stretched out before you, something you could tear down and rebuild in your head. You felt like god. The archons tears rained down harder, unraveling the perfect hairdo you had created, and giving you the look of beyond mortal. Like you were on equal ground with Venti, Barbatos. You stepped back, leaning over the edge of the cliff slightly. Venti panicked, "slightly". "GET DOWN! YOU'LL GET HURT!" You simply smiled. And turned to him. Eyes steely and electric. The song of evil playing in your head, something Venti had created. Now, it was yours. You could finally tear him down, ruin the plan.

"I hate you."
And with that, a burst of hydro and memories sent his world spiraling back.

Never mind feeling like god. You were beyond an archon now.