chapter five - two archons viewpoints

Morax
______

As one of the archons, I am entrusted to ensure the Heavenly Principles will keep the mortals in check. But how does it not affect us, the ones bestowed with the power of the Principles?
I look ahead to my friend, the Anemo Archon. He is on his way out of Liyue, my domain. To you. It's strange how desperate he seems to return now, he had no trouble coming here. Is it the guilt? The things he has planned, although he claims for them to be back-up. I can tell he tries not to enjoy it. The prospect of sharing eternity with a mortal, with you. It reminds me of Ei, although she tries to benefit others. Barbatos only cares for himself. While the Electro Archon has reason, having lost much to the Heavenly Principles, he decides to go against his own. Claiming to demand freedom from his people, but stripping it away from those who disappoint him. He has become careless and cruel, no love for his people. Well, he loves you. But not in the way I cared for Guizhong, or love the people of Liyue. I told Barbatos that. His defense was simply how I provided no defense against the water beats that ravaged the place a few months prior. I decided not to respond.

To you, mortal, I am sorry. Your fate is no longer deniable. I wish I could help you, but to Barbatos, I am bound.
And those who break their contracts are to be punished.

-
Barbatos
______

I can't wait to see you! I've been gone for over a week, and it's been terrible without you. But there were some things I needed to take care of. For your safety, it was better that you remained in Mondstadt. I hope Diluc hasn't made any moves.
As Morax and I begin the steady path out of Liyue Harbor, I begin to skip. The idea of you at home, waiting.. makes me nervous. But also excited. I don't think I've been away from you this long.. since we met. Or, well, since I saw you. It took a month of following you and watching the things you did to gather the courage to finally talk to you. I saw what you did and when. Eventually, I memorized your entire schedule. Did mortals usually do that? I didn't know. But, after five long months of watching you, the glorious meet-up in Wolvendom happened. I was so happy. I was in love.
Morax taps me on the shoulder. I frown at him. Rude, to interrupt my thoughts of you. "We are at the edge of the Harbor. I trust you to return home safely from here." Ah. I see. He's nervous.
"Thank you, dear friend. I'm grateful for your assistance. And, please remember.

Those who break their contract are punished by the Principles."

___________________

My arms have never wrapped around you tighter. I can tell it's been a horrible week for you. The way you hold me tight against your chest, and whisper about how you missed me. You regret talking to other people more. I'm so glad. Your finally back where I need you to be.