Prologue

LATER THAN NEVER

Their words hurt her. As a daughter who loves her mother very much, I had no choice but to leave, breaking my promise to the man I want to spend my forever with.

"Would you attend Resilla's birthday tomorrow, Udele?" Nagawa pang tanong sa akin ni Chessie, pinsan ko, sa kabila ng kalasingan.

Maingat ko siyang hiniga sa kama at hinubad ang takong na alam kong kanina niya pa suot-suot. These past few months, she has always been like this. Drunk. Napahinga na lang ako nang malalim ng bigla siyang naghubad ng damit at basta na lang hinagis sa kung saan. Nilagay ko ang mga kamay sa aking beywang. Seriously? I immediately picked it up and went straight to the bathroom, putting her clothes in the laundry. I even wet a small towel to wipe her up.

"You're going to regret this tomorrow, Che."

I shooked my head as I wiped her arms and her legs since she has no plan to stand up. I also wiped her face with a wipe to remove her makeup. After I finished, I dressed her in pajamas that I took from her closet. Nahirapan pa nga akong mamili dahil sa dami ng pagpipilian.

Knowing Chessie, she's picky when it comes to the things she'll be wearing. Halos araw-araw kasi ay magagara ang mga suot niya. She has a great sense of fashion, like her mother. Probably, that's why Tita Conception has a boutique business. I still vividly remember the day when Chessie starts managing her mom's shop. Sino pa ba kasi ang magmamana? She's Tita's only child. Plus, she also graduated in fashion design. Lalayo pa ba siya?

Natuon ang pansin ko kay Chessie ng bigla siyang umungol ng malakas. Kahit madilim ay kitang-kita ko ang ekspresyon ng kaniyang mukha. 

"Shh, maririnig ka ni Mama. She's just in the other room for Pete's sake!"

Napamasahe na lang ako sa aking sintido.

"No, I don't want to!" She said loudly. 

Nagsimula siyang magpapadyak sa aming kama causing our bodies to bounce. Our bedsheet and pillows disarray. A silent cry released on her as she stopped and hugged both of her knees, posing like a shrimp. Nagpatuloy ang mahina niyang paghikbi hanggang sa kumalma. 

What now?

"I know how much you missed your cousins, Udi." 

I sighed deeply as I rest my back on the bedpost. Why, Chessie? Why talk about it? Anong iniisip mo? 

Dumating ang umaga at nagising akong wala na si Chessie sa aking tabi, pati na rin pala sa buong bahay. My mom, Michelinda, woke me up when she realized that her favorite niece was not at home. 

"Did she not tell you anything? It's probably still dawn when she left earlier. Anong oras ba siya umuwi kagabi?" 

I hand her a glass of water while I'm already drinking mine. She was almost panicking because of nervousness, so I served her one. Mabuti na lang, kumalma na siya makalipas ang ilang minuto. Otherwise, hindi ko na alam. I don't know what to explain to her if ever.