The Independence Walk

"I have to take a video for my snap," she announced excitedly. The bar was strategically lit. With just enough light to allow for seeing, but dim enough to give off a cosy, sexy ambience. Even though it wasn't exactly easy to make out faces, their silhouettes could be seen. That and the empty bowls and bottles on the table was enough proof of a lit night out.

"We what?!" Shina chanted when Stella started the video.

"We moooove!!" the table chorused in unison, dissolving into laughter afterwards and drawing a few stares.

"Let's get out of here before they chase us out," Shina said.

The three couples walked noiselessly to their parked cars save for Shina who sang tonelessly, "We are going higher. We are going higher. "

His energy was infectious and soon they were all singing and dancing shamelessly in front of their cars. When they stopped to laugh, Temilade looked over at Shina. This was why she loved him, his ability to make her lose her self-consciousness at any time and just be, just live, laugh, be happy. He caught her staring and pulled her in for a deep kiss. They didn't break apart till Stella loudly cleared her throat.

"That was the third time, guys. Get a room," Stella said feigning seriousness, but there was laughter in her voice. She and her boyfriend, Doro exchanged hugs with Shina and the others.

Shina pumped a fist in the air, "We move!"

'Onward forever!!" Stella replied raising her fist and getting into her car.

The remaining two couples were sharing a car. Muyiwa would be driving them since he was the soberest of them all. The ladies poured into the backseats, Shina got in the passenger seat and soon they were on the road. They had a long drive ahead of them. Shina had chosen a bar he heard of from a coworker that was miles away from where they lived. Shina loved to try new places. Muyiwa and feyisara planned to crash at their place that night. Shina put the radio on. Cool soul music serenaded the air and Temi positioned herself to sleep.

She did sleep. It was the jolting of the car and its eventual stop that woke her up. Groggy, she opened an eye,

"Are we home?" she mumbled. She made no move to get up, if she stayed down, Shina would come to carry her.

"Good evening officer," she heard Muyiwa say. Officer? She sat up, immediately alert. Beside her, Feyisara was sleeping and snoring lightly. Alcohol made her sleep like the dead.

"Let me see your 'paypas'" was the gruff response. A blast of light met her eyes and she winced and ducked her head, avoiding the glare of the officer's flashlight. Since the car belonged to Shina, it was he who turned the overhead light on and began to rummage around for said papers.

"See how this car is smelling. Where are you coming from?" the officer squeezed his nostrils, words dripping with disdain. She could see Muyiwa bristle. He didn't like being spoken to rudely. She stretched a hand and patted his shoulder to placate him since she was seated directly behind him. The officer noticed it.

"Leave him now. Shey you want to fight me. You think because you dey drive car now you be big man. I go show you pepper today. Get down from this car now now."

Shina intervened, "Officer, no one said anything to you. You asked for papers and I'm searching for them. No one is challenging you." His voice was firm but polite.

The officer wasn't appeased. "You think I'm joking. All of you get down now." He made to open the door, but they were locked. This only fueled his anger. He shone his light in their faces again.

"You think say I dey follow una play. Get out of this motor" he shouted, pounding on the side of the car.

"Officer calm down now!" Muyiwa responded angrily. He turned to Shina, "Guy where are these papers?"