three

The first thing I saw as I fell through the wall was, naturally, the massive train and its steaming engine. If I had the choice, I would've rung the whistle until all of London was deaf.

Remus and Mum had come to drop me off. My dear godfather was never one for early mornings, and this was not an exception. But I didn't mind, I had everything I needed.

"Now don't you forget," Mum fretted as she bowed down to reach me and pulled my jumper tighter around me, "Mondays through Fridays you must wear your school robes unless allowed otherwise."

She checked her watch.

"Oh, and no pranks unless you don't get caught."

She looked up at Remus as he gave her a breathy laugh and slight shake of his head, rolling his eyes a bit.

"And don't show your full potential just yet, save that for the exams," she winked.

If it wasn't obvious enough that she was anxious, she pulled on the sleeves of a navy and orange striped jumper she had on. It was particularly oversized on her, and definitely not something she would pick out. She must've accidentally worn one of Remus's on our rush out.

Remus, on the contrary, kept his calm composure and bent down to get on level with me. He could tell I was ecstatic, but beyond that as well. I was scared. As much as I wouldn't admit it, I'd grown accustomed to my life surrounding Rem, Mum, and Reggie. It made me...achy inside to know that our time was nearly out.

"Ver, you know your mother and I are so proud of you, and love you dearly. As is Regulus. We won't be bothered one bit by what house you belong in, or the exam results. Do your best, and have fun my darling." He smiled and winked reassuringly, making me smile and nod along. I rushed in for a hug, making him take a light breath out as he chuckled.

"Oh, how I'll miss you all!"

"And I, you. You'll be back for Christmas in no time. Now get on there, find a good place to sit. The Hogwarts Express is where I first met my dear friends, you know."

If I knew anything, it was that nothing could stay around for long. When its time to go, its time to go. I turned to my mother, who I know was wiping quick tears away while I wasn't looking, and hugged her as well.

"Be strong, be good Veronica," she kissed my cheek. "All my love is with you."

Goodbyes were custom for all of us, we all said goodbye far too many times, far too often. But this one was different. These goodbyes weren't forever.

I turned on the heels of my black school shoes, adjusted my jumper just as my mum had, and walked to the train doors.

Remus had already dropped off my trunk be packed away. As I passed the small compartment full of everyone's belongings, I noticed they were all in such an orderly fashion and packed so comfortably, it surely had been equipped with an extension charm.

I found an empty compartment to sit in. We'd been to the station quite early, the whistle hadn't rung to indicate the train's departure.

Out of the window, I saw children ranging from my age to much older than me saying their goodbyes and sharing last moments with their families before the new school year.

A boy about my age caught my attention - I'd seen him before. Platinum blonde hair, slicked back to perfection. His robes ironed to show no wrinkles, his shoes shined by house elves I'd imagine. His nearly identical father is was saying something to him while he listened attentively. He was a Malfoy, I knew that much. I could tell from the facial expressions his father had; they were like my mum's. Besides, I could identify the blonde hair anywhere.