fifty six: the white sky

Start from the beginning

The figure was closer now, still running at full speed, and not slowing for a second. I'm sure they were still yelling, but my brain was beginning to shut down, and my mind could no longer retain a single thought.

My body felt like it was hay wiring, and dropping to the floor felt like a reasonable idea right about now. But I couldn't – for some reason my body felt repelled from the thought.

My senses were overloading, and I don't think I've ever felt to overwhelmed in so many ways before.

A couple of meters more, and the person would reach me.

Taking another step back, I heard the voice call out again.

"Don't move!"

The voice, was a man. Or perhaps, a boy.

A few more steps, and he started reaching out.

He extended his arm out, trying to grab me.

And then was when I took my final step.

His fingers curled, ready to grab my arm and pull me back.

But he was too late.

The earth behind me had fallen away, and so, I fell with it.

I was left with the boy's cries and whimpers as I fell to my death. The howling of anger at the sky, and the sobs that sent a dagger through my chest.

It was not a nice sound.

So much so, that, as I fell, I started to call out also.

Crying out for the boy, who was just a second late.

Because it wasn't his fault – he tried, tried as hard as he could, and had to witness me fall.

So, for him, I cried.

Crying, I jolted up, and finally, fucking finally, opened my eyes.

I was immediately met with bright lights and white walls.

"Woah, hey. You're awake."

Looking to my left, I saw a man. He had brown hair, scruffy clothes and latex gloves on.

"The sky is blue, by the way."

I felt confused. "What?"

"The sky, it's not white. It's blue."

What the fuck? Can this guy read my thoughts or something?

"You talk in your sleep." The man stood from his chair and placed himself next to the bed I was laying in.

"My name's Lincoln, I was the one who stitched you back up."

Am I still dreaming?

"You gave your friends quite a fright out there. We thought we lost you for a while – they were so far from camp that they thought they wouldn't reach me in time. But you did, and the only thing to do now is rest."

My complexed expression stayed on, and the man rolled his eyes and poured out a glass of water from a jug.

"Here, drink this. I'm sure you're dehydrated."

I took the glass from his hands hesitantly and took a small sip.

Reluctantly, I spoke. "What happened?"

The man raised his eyebrows and sat back down.

"You don't remember?"

I searched through my memories, desperately trying to remember what happened, but I couldn't.