16. Eventful evenings

Start from the beginning

"Ji, Pavan" he informed, while opening the backseat door for her

"Pavan ji, dekhiye, hamare yaha smoking aur sharab mana hain, (smoking and drinking is not allowed here), we have kids around. And it's not good for your health too" Khushi tried to tell him as politely as she could. He curtly nodded and after getting the address of her destination started driving.

'Another lecture from another didi ji' he thought, she reminded him of his elder sister who would also scold him for his smoking habits. But he couldn't quit it. it started as a fun and now was addiction.

When Khushi reached the factory, she had a call from Arnav asking how the new driver was. Khushi told him he was fine but didn't inform him about the little smoking incident, knowing he would immediately fire him. Also, she hoped she had made Pavan understand...

--*--

When Arnav reached home in the evening, Khushi was still not there. Their new driver was supposed to go back to pick her in half an hour, as per her instructions. She had sent him back to help others at home as she knew they would need this car around for the next day's pooja-preparations

"Arnav ji, I am almost done here. Can you send the car?" he received her text, but Arnav decided to go pick her himself as it was getting late. He also wanted to meet their new driver.

Sighing Arnav descended the stairs with a sleepy Pari, handing her over to Payal

He was telling her that he will be back in an hour, picking Khushi when he was stopped by Kavish, Piya and Aru.

"Papa, mamma ko pick karne ja rahe ho na? hum bhi ayenge" Kavish insisted, and Arnav easily agreed, picking Aru. He could use some company, he thought.

When they all sat in his SUV, he had asked Pavan to drive as he was too tired for the day, and he also wanted to test the new driver.

They had hardly touched the main road when their car nearly bumped into next one, stopping with a harsh break, throwing all occupants in front, on their face. Thankfully seat belts were buckled so there wasn't any injury. Still, Aru immediately started crying due to the jerk while Piya and Kavish looked frightened.

"What the-! What was that Pavan?" Arnav said while trying his best to soothe the kids and controlling the urge to swear more profusely
"Woh saab, wo aage wale ne break dabaya" he said shrugging his shoulders, not even a bit apologetic.

"Can't you ensure the safe distance? If you don't know how to drive such a big cars, why take the job dammit?" Arnav shouted; the driver's careless attitude was making him angrier. But Pavan only heard the insult in his words, 'arrogant rich people' he thought and snorted.

--*--

When they finally reached the location of Gupta food unit, Khushi was already outside, talking to few people from the company. Arnav asked Pavan to park the car and went to greet her employees as he also knew some of them.

After around 10-15 minutes, they said their goodbyes to the group and started to walk to the car. Arnav was comparatively in a good mood after meeting Khushi. However, when he saw Pavan, smoking near the car, his fuse blew off!

"Namaste saab, namaste madam" he greeted Arnav and Khushi, not noticing his 'saab's angry face! But khushi had already sensed upcoming storm. She took Aru from Arnav's arms and signaled chiku and piya to come by her side. They were looking curiously at their new driver-uncle who did not look as friendly as their Mohan-uncle.

"GET LOST. You are fired!" Arnav shouted, straight to the point while Khushi flinched besides him

"But saab, kya ho gaya?" Pavan, still holding the cigarette, tried to reason but Arnav was in no mood to listen

"didn't you hear me? Na gadi chalana aata hai na maafi mangna and on the top of that you are smoking when there are kids around? Disgusting! Don't even dare to be seen anywhere around our house again. OUT" Arnav shouted and Khushi immediately hugged Aru more to herself while Kavish and Piya too looked scared. After all, since their birth, they had rarely seen angry-Arnav, shouting like he did now. Khushi didn't know why but she felt an odd violent streak in Pavan's eyes as he left from there. Maybe Arnav shouldn't have blasted at him the way he did.

--*--

"You should have dealt with him patiently Arnav ji" Khushi said when they finally had reached home. Arnav had driven the rest of the ride back home.

"Patiently Khushi? He almost got us in an accident today and then he was smoking around our kids. I am sorry but I won't tolerate that" he said helping the kids out from the car.

"And we shouldn't. I am just saying sometimes your words are very harsh and especially young boys tend to take them on their ego. We should have reprimanded him calmly"

"I don't think so, Khushi. I will talk to Mohan and see if someone can be arranged in his place hmm?" he said as they stepped inside, indicating he didn't want more argument

But Khushi continued to feel restless. Even after so many years and trying to make Arnav watch his tongue, he still sometimes went 'no-filter mouth' with very hurtful words and not everyone would take that with a pinch of salt. 'Devi Maiyya hamare pariwar ki raksha karna' praying so she too went on to look after the 'Kanya-pujan' preparations. Not knowing a danger was looming around on their house...

--*--

A/N – this chapter and next one will be a bit eventful and might feel like we are steering a bit away from light-hearted tone of this FF. When I had started this FF months ago, this was one of the things I had imagined happening. In fact, back then I had planned something more serious, but now I am too much in love with my arshi babies to show that. Also, I am setting the stage for their 'pet' :P

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and brace yourself for the next one, coz one of the kids is going to be involved in an attempted kidnap! *ducks shoes from readers and goes to hide*