chapter 7 - SOS

---Marisa--- 

Lindy had called to tell me that a friend of Jake's was in trouble, and they needed help. 

Nick, Lindy, Jake and I were sitting at a table together in Central Park.

"It was supposed to be fun," Nick told us. "I wanted to make Beth feel special. She only gets to visit me every month or so. You know, it wasn't exactly cheap, either." 

"Neither of you remember anything else about that night?" Jake asked.

"Not after we fell asleep, no," Nick answered. "Somebody must've drugged us. There was wine. We drank that. The next morning, Beth was out cold, and I..." 

"What?" I asked. 

Nick turned his back to us, raising the back of his shirt to reveal several slash marks that looked as if they could have been left by a whip. 

"You need to see a doctor," Lindy told him.

"Beth and I went to one," Nick told us, turning to face us. "I was more worried that she was okay, but nothing was done to her." 

"Nothing?" I asked.

"No," Nick answered. "Except she's totally freaked. Who would do this?" 

Jake looked at Lindy and me. "Iluxa Electronic. They booked the apartment online." He looked at me. "I thought maybe you could see who came in and out of the apartment." 

Lindy looked at Nick. "You should go to the police." 

"You don't understand," Nick told us. "I'm this close to getting offered the job of a lifetime with Jake's law firm. They do thorough background checks. You know how humiliating it would be if anyone found out about this? Jake's the only one there I trust."

I looked at Lindy. "He's got a point." 

Lindy sighed, looking at Nick. "Okay, I can't force you to file a complaint, but what about your girlfriend? She's okay with this decision?" 

"Yes," Nick answered. He looked at me. "Please. Jake says you can help us." 

I nodded. "Okay." Lindy sighed, obviously not happy. "I'll see what I can find out." 

Lindy and I walked into the apartment to hear music and girls laughing.

And a girl's British accent. "So, he's carrying me upstairs on his back, and I can feel his muscles keeping me from falling into this hundred-foot ravine." 

We walked into the living room to see the blonde British girl standing with a drink in her hand.

Sophia was sitting down, noticing us, standing. "Oh, Lindy! Marisa!" She stood next to us, looking at her friend. "Look who's here." 

"Tessa," I told her. 

"Oh, my God," Tessa said, smiling, walking toward us, wrapping an arm around each of us. "Hi. It's amazing to meet you finally." 

"Such a surprise," Sophia told us.

"Just off the plane," Tessa told us. She looked at Lindy and me, pointing to the drink in her hand. "You must try a Caipirinha." She walked past us to the kitchen. "Go on. It's the Brazilian national drink." We turned to face her. "Nectar of the gods." Tessa poured one glass. "Trust me." She poured another. "These people know how to live."