I Found Her, But Let Her Slip Through My Fingers Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

"Are you making fun of me?" Mr. Perkins inquired. The bell just rang and I was left standing in front of his desk, tongue- tied.

"No sir," I timidly answered after a minute.

"Then what was that behavior about?" I explained what happened in the hallway and about Donna trying to help me out. It didn't feel weird to me spilling the truth to a teacher. Like what Allison said, I was one of Mr. Perkins' very few favorites. For him, if you aced his subject, you've got something special or supernatural going on in you. I kinda felt guilty for calling him Gollum. Anyway, I understood the disappointed look he was giving, he was expecting so much from me. He just nodded after I finished explaining and dismissed me with a wave of a hand.

My eyes were looking at my worn out shoes when I went out. A faint "hey" came from someone standing close beside the door frame. I lifted my eyes and saw Donna smiling nervously at me as if she did a crime not worth forgiving. "How did it go? What did he say?"

I gave her a smile before responding. "Don't worry, I told him everything. I spared him from hearing whatever was in my mind." I ruffled her lovely hair and smoothened her scrunched forehead with my hand. She really was a thoughtful and adorable friend.

"I'm still sorry," she mumbled as we walked to our Math class. The rest of the gang were also there.

I chuckled, "no need to be sorry. Hell, I'm supposed to thank you." I stopped and faced her. "Thanks for trying to save my butt."

"You're welcome." Her unblemished cheeks reddened like the way Allison's would when embarrassed or nervous. Maybe if I could convince myself to forget what I feel for Allison and love Donna instead everything would be all right. No painful feelings and pretentions. "What's wrong?" She suddenly asked.

"Huh?" I guess I was spacing out again. "Erm, I was just thinking how best to thank you." I rubbed my chin with my fingers as if to prove that I was really in deep thought. It must've worked because she beamed and giggled to herself.

"You know you don't have to," she slapped my shoulder playfully.

"No! I really want to. You've done a lot of good things to me." By then, we'd reached the door to our next class. She put her hand on the knob but didn't turn it. I could tell by the looks on her face that she was debating about something.

I was staring intently at her, trying to figure out what was bugging her when she spun and seriously pierced my eyes. "If you will just think about it, yuo'll realize what I really want." Before I could open my mouth to say something, she opened the door and walked inside, her short skirt swaying seductively and slipped in an empty seat next to Allison.

The teacher was rambling about the same old Math issues we're never going to use in real life as I ponder about what Donna said a while ago. I perfectly understood what she meant and it pains me to admit to myself that I am incapable of giving her exactly what she wants. It's not as if I could magically teach or force my heart to love someone instantly. That wouldn't be fair to any of us. Sure I love Donna but not more than as a friend. Besides, I don't wanna be the one to hurt her feelings. I'd rather hurt myself than her.

I looked over in her direction, she was seated next to Allison and my eyes were magnetized to gaze at her perfection. My heart skipped a beat as she caught me swooning. Cooly and nonchalantly, I commanded my eyes to look away but I was pretty darn sure my cheeks were burning like wildfire spreading all over my face. The loud thudding of my heart was almost painful, as if my ribs were gonna break from the outrageous pressure. I took in small gasps of oxygen to regain my composure. My eyes were threatening to look at her again so I shut them tight. I let a few minutes pass before I opened them, certain that they would not wander again. The teacher was still rambling, oblivious of what was happening inside me. Heck, everyone was oblivious of my feelings. I felt safe and eternally grateful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Allison!" I yelled when I spotted her among the bustling crowd of students excited to go home. The final bell just rang and I felt obliged to apologize to her for the bother I caused. She turned around and her soft curls swirled around her face. "I finally caught you," I panted.

"Hey, where were you during lunch? I hope I didn't get you into trouble with Perky."

"Oh no, everything's cool with him. I went to Coach Braselton and informed him that I won't be participating this coming basketball season. I couldn't handle the stress of having to juggle school stuff and practice, not with my scholarship hanging by a thread."

"What a shame! You're the best forward ever! Besides, didn't you say that last year? You managed both without a sweat!" She frowned but the glorious and undying amusement in her eyes were apparent. Snapping myself out, I told her how sorry I was for the bother and all. She just laughed it off with a smile and a pinch at my cheek. How could I not fall all over again?

I walked her to her car, feeling awesome and lightheaded. "If I don't know you, I'll sure think you're head over heels over me," she joked. "You're just too nice to everyone. Everybody literally and figuratively likes you." She leaned at her car with so much grace that everything around us converged in a blurry background in fuzzy colors. "I always wonder why you don't have a girlfriend."

"Oh well." I fidgeted nervously in my place. My hands were starting to show signs of dampness and tremors so I stuffed them inside my pockets but mindlessly took one out again to scratch the back of my head. Could she possibly know something?

"Oh my! I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable." Both her hands covered her mouth in fake horror. I burst out laughing at that. "Seriously, why are you single all this time?" She persisted.

"I dunno."

"Do you even like someone right now?" Way beyond like, I was tempted to reply.

"Yea."

"Ohh don't tell me you're shy!!!" She squealed with excitement.

"Am not," I defended. "I just don't think I have a chance." My eyes looked past her into the leaving cars outside the school gates.

"Well, didn't you hear what I said?" I cocked an eyebrow in question. "I said EVERYBODY likes you, and you should damn well believe me." She opened her door and with a final wave, sped off. I shrugged and laughed to myself, that girl could get really cryptic sometimes. I turned around and walked to my own car, just a few steps away. Donna was already there, leaning at my car with a bunch of books to her chest. I waved at her and smiled.

"Hey!" She stood straight and looked at me with a somewhat weird expression plastered to her face. "What? Anything wrong?" I asked.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Her voice was subdued, eyes brimming with tears.

"Tell you what??? Are you okay??? Why are you crying??? What happened???" I fired questions after questions. I touched her shoulders but she flinched away. "Hey, I'm worried," I pleaded. The fence that protected the tears from spilling out crumbled, tears fell down her cheeks in the twilight. I felt like I was being torn apart as I watched her.

"Why?" She sobbed. The tears didn't stop from falling. I took a step closer but she inched away from me, as if I might give her something contagious. I was lost and confused.

"Did I do something wrong? Was it something I said?"

"Why didn't you tell me you like Allison?" Those few words that came out of her lips felt like a thousand shards of glass stabbing me over and over again. Killing and draining the remaining life out of me. I watched her step closer to me, expecting the worst slap I very well deserved. For the second time in my life, Donna took me by surprise by brushing her lips to mine and crushing whatever thoughts circled in my head.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think??? I want comments!!!!! XD

Thanks for reading :)

I still feel its a crappy chapter though.