Chapter 4-8: Karuizawa Kei

Start from the beginning

"You're right. My words and actions back there were definitely out of line. I'm sorry," I bowed my head as I spoke.

Hirata appeared to calm down a bit, and he let out an exasperated sigh, his fist loosening.

"Would you mind expanding on your intentions here?"

"Sure. I can sympathise with Karuizawa, which is why I want to help. And, to be frank, I don't think you are of much use in this scenario, Hirata. You want to be everyone's ally, but that's not what she needs at the moment."

"You don't think it's possible to solve this through civil discussion? That's rather pessimistic." Hirata rebutted.

"Girls are much more vicious than us boys. While men tend to just have a physical fight and have that be the end of it, grudges between girls turn into a long battle of nasty attacks on one another. From hair pulling to spreading rumours to throwing their drinks and much more, which can last for months and months without ever being resolved. You understand this, don't you? They won't just hug and make up, even if you're there as a mediator with all your popularity."

Hirata closed his eyes, a storm of thoughts assailing his mind. This would be a true test for Hirata – will he be able to reflect on the situation without bias, and on his own way of doing things? Or will he insist that peace through dialogue is always the answer?

Eventually, he started talking.

"You're right. That is most likely the case. But, then, what would you suggest as an alternative?"

I looked him dead in the eye.

"A fight ends when someone wins."

Hirata seemed shocked by my immediate response, as his eyes widened a little.

"This applies to all battles, be it physical, mental or emotional. In this case, the best way to win is, of course..." I continued.

"... Expulsion."

Hirata paled and his eyes widened even more. Anyone would think I just suggested murdering them.

"Absolutely not! While it's arguable that you cannot be on everyone's side, that doesn't mean anybody needs to be expelled!" Hirata shook his head violently.

"Oh really? This school takes bullying very seriously. Manabe and her friends have already used violence on Karuizawa, and it will escalate even more from here. One could even go as far as to say they deserve to be expelled." I retorted.

Hirata stared at me like I'd completely lost my mind. It was as if he thought my logic was completely nonsensical, like some kind of alien language was being spoken.

"Why would you ever freely choose to expel one of your peers when there are clearly other solutions?" he exclaimed in alarm.

"I never said I would," I rebutted. "All I said was that it was the best way to win."

Hirata's panic dissipated as he heard my words. He was evidently glad to hear that I didn't intend to expel anybody.

"However, there must be a reason for bringing it up, right? Do you think that Ayanokōji-kun would choose to expel them?"

If I knew Ayanokōji, I'd say it was far more likely that he'd force Manabe to become subservient to him. Having a sleeper agent embedded in Class C would be very powerful.

"Hmm... who can say? Although I don't agree with resorting to expulsion myself, what I will say is that, for people like Karuizawa, people like Manabe and her friends ought to be... deleted."

Hirata stiffened up at my deliberately ominous wording. However, what I said was true; nobody can argue that the world would be better for everyone if all bullies disappeared.