38 - Chance

Yeji was relieved Yeonjun didn't show up the next day. And as her mom promised, the bugging indeed stopped.

On the other hand, Ryujin has not called her yet. Yeji's been waiting for that because hearing Ryujin's voice would help her forget her mom and Yeonjun for a little while.

Truth is, she feels confused.

The little girl that had been crushing on Yeonjun since the day Yeji can't remember is still inside her. But what's adds up to her confusion is the feelings she's developed towards Ryujin.

It's different and similar in a way. She doesn't know what to make of it. Yet, she knows choosing one over the other can cause either a concord or a rift between her and mom.

Yeji doesn't want to imagine the consequences yet.

Is there a way she could find out who matters most?

---

It was Sunday afternoon, after a trip to the grocery store when Yeji and her mom saw the familiar black car in front of their gate.

"Now look at that." her mom pulled the car over.

Yeji's eyes widened when Yeonjun stepped out from the driver's side and walked towards them.

"Hey." He leaned inside the car window on her mom's side.

"Hey, darling. It's great to see you." The older woman pinched Yeonjun's cheek. "Where have you been? Yeji was waiting for you since Thursday."

"Mom!"

"I'm just kidding, darling." Yeji's mom laughed.

"I was on an out-of-town business trip these past few days. I came back just last night," said Yeonjun.

"How long have you been waiting there? You should have called me or Yeji to tell us you're dropping by. We went out to get some groceries."

"Nah. It's fine. It was just for a couple of minutes. And I don't have your numbers yet."

"Oh. I'll give it to you inside, okay?" said Yeji's mom.

"That would be great." Yeonjun smiled at them. "By the way, can I help you with the groceries?"

---

"Thanks for the help." Yeji's mom handed Yeonjun a glass of cold water.

"Thanks." Yeonjun handed back the glass after downing it. "And you're welcome."

"Do you have something to do this evening? I hope you could stay for dinner."

Yeji was smiling as she put the condiments in the cabinet. She know her mom's pushing it again.

"Umm. Well... I was hoping I could take Yeji out for dinner..." said Yeonjun.

Yeji turned around to look at him, surprised.

"Really?" Yeji's mom was surprised too.

"Y-yeah." Yeonjun nodded hesitantly. "If... if... if only Yeji's available."

"Yeah. Sure. Of course, son," the older lady answered. "She doesn't have plans for the entire day either. Am I right, Yeji?"

Yeji met eyes with her mom and knew she needs to do her part of the deal. "Yes."

---

Yeonjun took Yeji to a waterfront restaurant where they had a multi-course dinner overlooking a lake. It wasn't romantic, but not casual either.

Although Yeji thought it would be awkward, like her previous dates before, it surprised Yeji she's having fun again.

After their dinner, they went for a moonlit stroll at the park with a cup of tea in their hands. Most of the people around were couples having their own little worlds.