25

THE LOW, A JACK HARLOW FIC.   

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE.

BEGIN.

FOUR MONTHS AGO, TODAY

Jack held his hands to his fist and folded them against his chest, "I don't want to do this." He admitted again.

"You want followers?"

Yes.

"No I don't." He huffed into the phone.

Robb was smirking from the other side of the phone. Probably thinking he was a big shot. Jack had bought the guy a hearse, he was thinking about it. Because he was getting on Jacks last nerve. He had too much on his back and then there was Robb.

"Yes you do I know your type. Are you afraid to ask a woman out?" He demanded, getting serious his tone lacking patience.

Jack took the challenge and huffed, "never." He admitted and then stopped and thought. This one, this woman, yes.

"If you want to get more followers. More listeners. You need to convince this girl to go out with you—" Lie to her, "and pretend to be together" lie to her some more.

"I don't—"

"Call her Jack. Or get a new manager. I don't care what goes down but you need to be seen with this girl because it's getting you more publicity. Pretend to like her take her for a ride in your fancy little cars, whatever. She doesn't have to know. It's not wrong, it's just a date, if she thinks it's going further than that that's too bad for her it won't. Goodbye." He hangs up before Jack can get another word.

—the low—

Jacks name runs across my phone and there's a tingle in my stomach. I reach for my phone before leaving it on the counter. That's when it goes off again. I suck my teeth and blow a breath out.

I know him and his reputation and I'd rather go on, without him and his slimy ways.

If he wants to speak to me he can just call. And I text him just that. But I didn't expect him to actually listen until I hear my phone ring.

My body shakes a little before I roll my eyes. He just wants to hookup. And would I be against that? I scratch my palm uncomfortably before picking up the phone.

The end of the line is silent, I can hear his breath on the other end. "Jack?" I ask. The name coming from my mouth sounds so fake but so real. And I kind of hope I'll have an excuse to say it again.

"Hey Sol." He greets and I immediately want to fold into nothing. He always called me that. I should've been expecting it but he's never been this quiet.

Anxiety is rushing through me but I like it. "What do you want?" I ask of course with a fronted attitude. I can almost see Jack roll his eyes.

I wait for some passive comment as I look at my nails. "I wanted to ask you out. Formally." I can hear my heart beat. Formally. He means out for everyone to see. To think... Jack showing me in front of everyone.
Pesky paparazzi. But him really taking me out.

Wait why? What's the point of this? He wants to smash again? He could've just asked me. I roll my eyes at myself. I can't believe I let myself get swept up in some weird ideas.

"Yeah sure Jack. If you want to hit it just say that." I say with my usual tone. Dripping in annoyance. I can him grunt from the other end. I chuckle to myself. I love hearing him worked up.

"I'm serious. We don't even have to do that. Just go out with me tomorrow night at 9. I'll pick you up." He says. I repeat all of those things in my head. I get dizzy. He's serious. He's actually forreal. He's gotta want something from me?

He wants to take me out?

"What will people think?" There's no attitude in my tone. Only struggle, I even spoke in a whisper. I'm ready for some attack from Jack. He hasn't given me a passive response this entire time. This could be a trick. But wouldn't it be so worth it.

"What do you think?" My heart clenches. I can't believe this is possibly the real him. I can't believe he just asked me about what I think. And I can't believe that I actually think we could do this. And that's why I say;

"I think you should go to hell." I hang up and I can't breath. I can't believe I just hung up. I tie my hands together and sit criss cross. What if he was serious? He probably thinks I'm a bitch now. Nah too late for that one. My phone rings and I startle to my feet.

It's Jack calling again. "I won't be apart of your games" I text with a sign. He can't play me... I won't let him.

Jack rolled his eyes. Sol had been ignoring his calls for the past hour. What the hell is wrong with this chick? I'm inviting her out to chill, free food was always her thing, so what's the problem?

She she wasn't gonna be apart of my games. I'm not playing any games. Well I am. No I'm not it helps the both of us out. We both get more fame.

But what if she doesn't want that? What if she thinks this is real? There's no way she could.

Jack thought back to the way she whispered on the phone. She was rarely ever a gentle person. Always with her claws out. But when he asked her out something about her seemed genuine, besides her attitude.

Jack called one more time and he finally hear a response on the other end, "What do you want?" She snapped. Yeah it was clear that she was pissed off. He probably shouldn't have called so much but it did work. He thought about telling the truth and decided against it.

"Sol. Just listen to me. I want to take you out on a real date." He could hear her begin to quiet on the other end. He had never tried this hard to get a girl to go out with him, jeez. Only her. "If you don't want to go with me, that's fine." I played the vulnerable card with her.

It was the only one left.

She sighed from the other side of the phone, "you're paying right?" Those three words met she finally caved. Jack smiled widely and thought about how many people would see them together. He was more than excited.

"Of course girl. Everything is on me. Wear something cute. I'll pick you up tomorrow and we'll go out." He was already imagining what he was gonna wear. What she was gonna wear. How it would look off her—

Nope. He reminded himself he was going it for the followers. He had to admit people love SZA.

She was beautiful, curvy, just stunning. Her smile the way she actually looked happy unlike other people. Her hair that flowed down her back and her voice. Lovely.

She's the perfect person to get me more followers.

Jack tried to ignore his excitement for the next day. He was going to have pull out all the stops for her. Like she deserved it, so stubborn. His mind races to when they were alone together a couple months ago.

His teeth crash against each other subtly as his jaw tightens and works. She was so beautiful, sleeping, her chest rising and falling in a delicate motion as the light threatened to shine in through the curtains. He imagined his fingers were working through the curl of her hair again as her eyes flutter open.

We can't keep this a secret anymore.
I'm not gonna keep lying to the people I love for you.
I saw you like that models picture honestly Jack what am I here for.
Do not text me.
Do not call me.
I want nothing to do with you.

Hopefully tomorrow night would be a night to remember. Maybe he'd win her back.