Chapter 4

The arm looked like that of an animatronic zombie. I stepped back in utter fear, now realizing this was no hoax. This was no prank. This cult had actually done something out of the ordinary. They had triggered some sort of paranormal phenomenon. I watched as the hand pushed down on the ground to force the rest of its body to the surface. More dirt and mud was breaking as the rest of this thing emerged. Its body was yellowish green. It looked old, rusted, and stained. Eventually, the head popped up. It looked like a torn animatronic rabbit. The teeth and nose were brown but the eyes were lifelike. I could see they were bloodshot.

"What the fuck?" I said loudly. The zombie-like animatronic rabbit finally made its way to the surface. It was pretty tall and disturbing. There were wires hanging out of it and it was torn up in many places. It was withered and decaying. It reached its hands up to its head and began pulling its face apart. It pulled open the jaw and I saw him; the face of my grandfather. He looked almost deformed but still recognizable. His face was torn up and scratched. He let out a groan - as if being resurrected brought him agony.

"He always comes back," Vanny said. I, Isaac Afton, stood before the infamous serial killer William Afton. Despite his deformities and the decay of his skin, I could tell that his facial features looked a lot like mine. It was disgusting. He put the mask back on and I froze, "this is your grandson," Vanny said. William looked at me and started walking close to me. He tousled my hair for a second and began walking away. I say there feeling nothing but utter shock as I saw him flee the scene. My knees hit the dirt as I stumbled down in defeat.

I felt like a failure. My goal was to disrupt a ritual I didn't even think was possible - and I failed to do that. I sacrificed my reputation, my life, and the life of my best friend - and this was as far as I got. This was the best I could do. I had spent all my money on bombs. I destroyed the death machines but didn't actually stop the death itself. I could have saved more lives, but I wasn't able to. I hated this. I could feel a tear or two shed from my eyes. It was the first time I had cried since I found out Vanny had used me and never really liked me all along.

I thought about my mother, who was probably worried sick. I probably had 12 missed calls from her, but I had been too caught up in the chaos to check. People will often tell me not to worry about things that are beyond my control. But the fact that they ARE beyond my control is the very reason I worry so much - the fact that I can't do anything to change the outcome of any situation that goes wrong. I want to be in control. I wish I could have killed all of the machines on day 1. I wish I never scanned my eyes on that shed and helped let the animatronics out. I felt utter guilt and shame as I watched the serial killer born again kick aside the five corpses of people I probably could have saved.

And what was there to do now? Go back into town and get put in jail for crimes I didn't commit? Face the fact that Chris was probably dead by now? I slowly got back in my car and watched my now resurrected grandfather and the cult who brought him back to life walk away. I sat in my car and cried myself to sleep, listening to the Worldstar Money interlude by Joji. I thought about everything from the beginning; Memories of Vanny were flashing before my eyes. I remember her playing with my hair, putting her head on my shoulder.

I remembered Chris walking into the car after I was accused of various crimes, telling me how he would stand by my side no matter what. This entire situation felt unreal but triggered so many emotions I wasn't prepared to feel. I checked my phone and saw my mom had tried to call me not 12 but 34 times. I then checked texts I had received from Mary;

"Isaac? You're all over the news, what's going on?" and then "Where are you? Are you okay? I saw you in town earlier today... you looked busy". I put the phone down and laid back in the driver's seat. As the dark clouds faded into stars, as noon turned to night, I fell asleep with tears rolling down my cheeks. It was a long dreamless sleep that I desperately needed...