Prologue

Introduction: In the beginning

Long , long ago the lord Almighty made a deal with the devil. When the archangel Lucifer was stripped of his wings and banished into the eternal embers of hell , he was promised land. If he allowed god to extract his powers to control the living completely, he would recieve a piece of land that he could rule without control - free of God's interception. Moonacre. God warned that his power was limited to the moon and back ; The Devil didn't take heed. As the rest of the world developed , moonacre valley stayed still. Until one day , two of Ireland's oldest clans took shelter in the damned forests of Moonacre. The De noirs and the Merryweathers ; Both equally powerful in every way; But with great power comes great greed. And that began the very downfall of the early settlers. For centuries they feud ; both hearts hurt by their pride. Both clans too proud to coincide. All of this was Lucifer's doing. He believed in order to gain power you had to fight for it. "May the best , and most terrible men win", he would say to himself. And each day more and more unknowing sinners found themselves burning in the eternal depths of hell. And as time passed on ,the vast number of pilgrems plundered into eternal sleep , whilst the dark lord hounded a terrible army of those who killed without mercy. Those Who took pleasure watching the light fade from ones eyes as they plunged a dagger into their hearts . Oh yes , those were the men he preferred. Once upon a cloudy day , many , many months before our young heroine was born, the lord of bargains was called upon by his very son Coeur de Noir. His wife had become gravely ill after giving birth to their firstborn son. "My lord dear god , I beg of the , please leave my wife and taketh me." He chanted. Alas , this was the devil's land . As the elder De Noir crouched by the crucifix , a serpent of black and blue hung from the tree above him. " There Isss no god here my sssson." , it cackled. " Tis' only I , your Father of sin." " Sin as I may father , I need guidance. My second wife Narcissa has bared my heir, and is paying the same fate as my first. I damn my cursed seed, serpent, and I damn my confidence in you , for I'll be a loon before sunset if I continue to believe I can speak." Replied the de Noir. The serpent tittered as he slithered to the ground as a man. " Tell me Son , do you still think yourself a loon ?" "Quite so sir, for I've seen a serpent turn into a man." His wicked smile preceded him as the man took a turn about our de Noir. "If you are neither god , nor serpent - whatever shall I call you ?" The man , hooded and sallow stopped dead in his tracks and smiled. "I'm known by many names my son. Satan , Lucifer ... The Devil. You may call me whichever." Coeur de Noir and his ghastly skin turned white. " No. No , I do not wish to speak with you any longer! I damn you to the very place you come from- you must leave at once !" Satan laughed cruelly as he grabbed onto the other man's shoulders. "You dare challenge me? You called upon me did you not ? I was honest in saying there was no god here , was I not?" "Yes ." "Yet, you defile my sympathy my son. I was called upon to listen , I did. Now I want to bargain." The raging de Noir all but spat Lucifer's face , but he remained silent. " To put it simply , you will be my humble servant for eternity. You will do whatever I say , whenever I say it." Coeur de Noir drew blood from his lip as he held back his tongue but still he remained silent. "That is all I require young de Noir - but if you refuse, I shall drag your wife straight to hell with me where I will molest and torture her every being until the very day you die , and you take over for me." Coeur backed away to the cross where he silently prayed for his beloved mother as an angel to swoop down and free him from this predicament. "What say you my son. Do we have a deal?". Without hesitation the man joined hands with the creature ; unknowingly damning all of Moonacre Valley to an eternity of darkness.