Episode 7: Secret Beef

~The Man Cave, (y/n)'s PoV)

I had been waiting for Henry and Ray to return for about half an hour when the kid sent me a quick text saying that our plans to go out for Chinese food were gonna be delayed. Apparently, a news crew had rocked up with stupid Evelyn Hall and all her... feminine assets. I remembered how Ray loved to flirt with her and it turned my mood sour.

"We have some breaking news. It seems like Captain Man and Kid Danger have captured the Time Jerker. Now, let's go to Evelyn Hall, live at the Swellview Clocktower." I watched Trent Overrunder interrupt his colleague and sighed as Evelyn's pretty profile came on the computer's monitor.

"Thanks, Trent. Captain Man and Kid Danger, can you tell us what happened here?" The woman asked Henry and I could see the Time Jerker struggling behind Ray, who was posing for the camera. Always a showoff.

"We found out that the Time Jerker was--" Henry tried to explain, but Ray interrupted him as he flirted with Evelyn. I felt my jealousy bubbling up in me as I watched him shove the poor kid out of the way and cosied up to her.

"Hello." He smiled at her, making tears spring up in my eyes. I hated that he couldn't see how I was here, in his home, waiting for him. It hurt me so much that he saw something in her that I hadn't got. Whatever she had, I desperately wanted.

"Hey." Evelyn breathed out dreamily and I could see the way my best friend's devilishly handsome good looks melted her heart. He always had that effect on women, including me and sometimes I couldn't help but feel so damn stupid that I lined myself up to be the next fool. I loved him, but I wasn't going to be another notch on his bedpost or another broken girl chucked out on the street the next morning. I'd die before I became another faceless name on his list of ex-lovers; the friendzone seemed much better.

"So, about an hour ago, I swung in here, swung through that glass and captured that Time Jerker you see right over there," Ray reported, making me scoff. Who was he kidding? I knew Henry had helped out and that he was just begging himself up in front of the gorgeous news reporter. Honestly, he pissed me off sometimes.

"I also participated." I saw Henry lean over and try to get himself onscreen, but I knew it was pointless. When Ray had his sights set on a girl, sadly, he didn't take them off until he had his way with them.

"Well, Captain Man, once again, the city of Swellview owes you a big, fat thank you." Evelyn purred at him, making me feel nauseous. I could never be that seductive with Ray, it just made me feel silly and clumsy with my tongue.

"I also participated!" Henry reiterated, but this time more loudly. Still, they ignored him, poor kid.

"Ehhh, I don't do it for thank yous. But there is something that I want." Ray mentioned, which piqued my interest. If he was about to announce he wanted to take her on a date on national television, I might just puke or faint or both.

"Sure...anything...uh, I mean, what?" My eyes nearly popped out of my head at how hard I rolled them. At least I tried to be subtle.

"As I'm sure you already know, there's a very special steakhouse here in Swellview, called Montego's." Ohhhhhh, so that's what he was after. I remembered how Ray had banged on and on about that restaurant for months after it opened and despite his status as Swellview's greatest hero, he still hadn't been invited. I had listened to his whining like a good friend and I was well aware of the hype surrounding Montego's.

I had a friend there who worked in the kitchen as a head chef or something. It was a fancy job, I think, but I had never really asked. They had even wangled me a few free dinners with them about a year ago, not that I had mentioned it to Ray. I didn't want him to be upset that I had tried their award-winning steaks before he did. As I always said: what Ray didn't know wouldn't hurt him.