61│JUDGE JOEY

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"So, your Dad liked me?" Joey asked for seemingly the hundredth time.

"Well, Daddy doesn't like any of my boyfriends. But he dislikes you less than he did all the other ones," She explained with a chuckle.

"Okay, but do you think if I wasn't your boyfriend then would he like me?"

"No."

Joey's eyes widened, clearly distressed by her answer. "What?! Why?!"

"Because if you weren't dating me then he wouldn't know you and Daddy doesn't like people he doesn't know. He barely likes the people he does know," She shrugged casually.

"Okay, okay, but what if we-"

Veronica closed her eyes and let out a heavy sigh. "Joey. There is no what if. My father likes you as much as any father would like the man sleeping with his daughter. What's important is that I like you. And I might like you less if you keep asking about my dad. Especially when we're naked," She said pointedly.

He put his hands up in defense. "Okay, I'm sorry."

"Thank you," She smiled in relief as she cuddled into his chest.

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"How could I not get the part?" Joey asked incredulously as he spoke to Estelle on the phone, "The play was about a 30-year-old Italian actor from Queens."

"Well, Talia Shire suddenly became available," She shrugged even though he couldn't see her.

"She's a woman!" He whined in disbelief.

"What can I say? She nailed it."

"Okay, is there anything else?" Joey asked, obviously disappointed.

Estelle sighed. "Well, you're just going to say no again but... gay porn."

Joey's face dropped and he quickly said goodbye to Estelle, ending the call with a defeated huff. He threw himself down onto his Barcalounger with a pout just as Veronica stepped out of his room. She looked over at Ross, wanting to know why her boyfriend looked so down but he just shrugged, confused himself.

"What's wrong, Joey?" She asked as she fiddled with her earring, closing the clasp.

"I didn't get the part," He frowned, "That part was perfect for me! I can't believe I didn't get it!"

"I'm sorry, man," Ross patted his shoulder comfortingly.

"How about I bring you a cherry pie from the diner on my way home?" Veronica suggested, hoping to cheer him up.

"Ooh, can you get me a slice too?" Ross asked excitedly.

"Slice?!" Joey repeated with a frown.

"No, no, no. A whole pie," She reassured him quickly, "I'll just get Ross a slice."