31│THE BROWNIE INCENTIVE

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

▲ ▼ ▲ ▼ ▲ ▼

"Here you go Pheebs," Rachel smiled excitedly as she held the plate of brownies out, "Who else wants one of my special homemade brownies?"

"I will have one," Chandler and Ross grabbed a piece.

"Oh! Oh! Oh!" Phoebe grimaced and quickly spit out the bite she'd taken.

"Okay, I'm not gonna have one," Chandler frowned as he and Ross dropped the brownies back in the plate.

"Neither will I," Ross agreed.

"No, no, it's just my tooth," Phoebe reassured them as she clutched her jaw.

"All right I'll have one," Chandler and Ross quickly grabbed their brownies again.

Ross, Rachel, Chandler, and Phoebe's heads snapped to Veronica's door when it creaked open.

Veronica and Max hadn't broken up but they still had a lot to talk about still. After their fight three days ago they'd decided to cool off before they continued talking about it. They hoped that would mean the next time they talked about it they wouldn't be at each other's throats.

The friends had quickly pulled her into a comforting hug when she trailed back into the apartment sadly. She'd been

"Brownies?" She asked quietly and Rachel quickly handed her the whole plate in hopes that it would cheer her up.

"You want ours too?" Chandler asked seriously, just wanting to get their happy, bubbly Veronica back.

She shook her head and slowly made her way over to the couch. "Are these funny brownies?" She asked hopefully.

"No, honey," Rachel patted her shoulder, "You were the only one who knew how to make those in college."

She let out a disgruntled sound and shrugged before she started eating the brownies. She figured since she'd been cut off from wine the last three days at least a pot brownie would get her mind off of Max.

Monica and Rachel had decided she wasn't allowed any more wine after finding her on the kitchen floor surrounded by bottles and glaring at baby magazines.

"So what's a matter, you need a dentist?" Ross asked Phoebe, "I've got a good one."

"No thanks, I have a good one too," She paused as she tried to think of how best to explain this to them, "I just, I-I can't see him."

"See that is the problem with invisible dentists," Chandler joked and turned to Veronica with hopeful eyes, "Huh?" He raised a brow, hoping for a laugh.

She gave him a small smile and he wrapped an arm around her comfortingly.

"Why?" Ross raised a brow, "Why can't you go to him?"

"Because, every time I go to the dentist, somebody dies," She explained simply.

"That is so weird, because every time I go to the dentist, I look down the hygienist's blouse," Chandler joked as the friends stared at her in disbelief.