Chapter 11: Old Wounds

(Art by me, lol. Um, this chapter kinda went through development hell and the beginning isn't that great but it gets better. Also, this is a really long chapter compared to the others, so... Yeah...)

Arnec slowly opened his eyes, the cold air of the demon realm nipping at him. He looked down a little at Tangle, who was still peacefully asleep, and smiled as he stroked the back of her head. Tangle purred a little, just barely audible over the hushed talking in the other parts of the cathedral. Silver and Whisper were leaning against each other, Whisper passed out while Silver was still waking up. He grinned a little as he saw Arnec and Tangle, Arnec smiling back a little. Tangle's eyes slowly opened and she grinned a little "What's up Pretty Boy?" she asked, Arnec blushing "Just happy to see the two most beautiful eyes staring at me."
"You gotta quit with the flirting."
"Wait, why?"
"Because, it's getting ridiculous."
"What should I do then...?"
"How about you kiss me instead!?" Tangle shouted unintentionally, Whisper jolting awake and Silver's eyes getting big. Arnec watched as Sonic peeked his head through the doorway before realizing that everything was alright and going back to whatever he was doing. Tangle blushed as she hid her face in his chest. "So... You want me to kiss you instead of saying good things? I... Don't understand that but okay...! Umm... Tangle?"
"Hmm?"
"You'd be honest with me if I ask you something right?"
"Of course. What's on your mind?"
"Am I a good kisser?"
"Pfft, you think I'm a good one!? I just try getting in you as fast as I can." Tangle said before both realized what was wrong with what she just said. Tangle laughed embarrassingly, Arnec smiling shyly before looking at her with rosy cheeks "So... I'm not bad?" he asked, to which Tangle shrugged "Not to me. But I mean how can you really screw up, all you do is smash your faces into each other and taste each other's insides!" She said before narrowing her eyes a little. Arnec laughed a little "I'm 99% sure it's more complicated than that. Isn't that right, Asmodeus?"
"No comment." Asmodeus replied. Tangle looked at Arnec with a shocked expression "You're aunt has been watching us make out this entire time!?"
"Well, I-"
"Hold on, what's your middle name?"
"Uhh... Mccoy, why?"
"Arnec Mccoy, I'm about to whoop your rear end, and I don't care if you'd like it!" She yelled. Arnec blushed even worse before Tangle grabbed his hands and pinned them to the floor. Silver looked at Whisper "I think she wears the pants in that relationship!" he whispered. Whisper grinned "Yeah, sounds familiar."
"What do you mean?"
"Just go back to sleep..."
"O-okay..." Silver said shyly before laying back. Whisper shook her head, grin still on her face, before resting her head on his shoulder. Tangle meanwhile had Arnec pinned the floor even harder. "C'mon, kiss me!" she shouted, Arnec whimpering as he couldn't move. Tangle sighed "Oh well, I guess it's into the friend zone you go!"
"N-no!"
"If only there was a wolf that would kiss me and make me the happiest woman in the world... Well, my own world since-"
Arnec grabbed her and quickly kissed her, Tangle's eyes wide open in shock before relaxing. Arnec heard Asmodeus "Now softly lick her lips, not too hard or she has the right to smack you!" she said in his head. Arnec did as she said, his tongue sofly brushing against Tangle's lips. Tangle pulled away "Alright Pretty Boy, since you went nicely with it." she said before pressing her lips onto his, leaving just enough room for his tongue to push through. Arnec hesitated before doing it. But unlike the last few times he took his time and savored it, everything from the sweetness of her lips to the heat from within... He put his hands onto her back and gently pulled her closer, a muffled moan coming from Tangle. Tangle suddenly felt him grab her hands and before she knew it he had rolled them over and had her pinned to the floor. With his leverage Arnec pressed more, them separating for a second to breath before going back to it. His hands moved from hers to her back, his fingers tracing over each curve. Tangle's hands wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer. They separated again, Tangle smiling "Gettin' better, Pretty Boy." she said before giving a quick kiss. Arnec smiled "Thanks, hey Tangle?"
"Hmm?"
"After this is over, what do you want to do? Any particular places you want to go to or anything like that?"
"Well you did mention that date~ Just... I want to make sure you'll be okay. Can I ask you something?"
"Sure."
"What will killing your uncle give you?"
"What do you mean?"
"Like, I know you want to avenge your family, but... What else is there? You've torn yourself apart trying to do one thing and... I'm worried... You want to do it, but you're hesitant too..."
"I... Warriors are supposed to defend what they love. I lost all I had loved, and I just want to make sure that the score is settled. He murdered my family, and I want to make sure that he doesn't get away with it..."
Tangle put her hand on his cheek, her thumb rubbing it "Arnec... You're acting like warriors and people are two different things. Your family wouldn't want to see you tear yourself to pieces like this. I can't watch you do it either. After this, we're heading to your old house and getting some closure, okay?" She said before kissing him on the forehead. Arnec froze for a second before planting his face right in her chest fluff. She could hear him sobbing and slowly rubbed his head
"You okay?" She asked, Arnec shaking his head. "No. I've lost everything I've ever loved. Tangle, I'm scared... Scared that I'll lose you too... I can't go through that again!" Arnec said, looking up at her. Tangle smiled "It'll be okay. We'll do this together! We'll meet your uncle, beat the crap out of him, then go home!" Tangle said, smiling. Arnec sighed "Tangle... I don't think you understand... He's killed billions of people, I don't even know if I can hurt him!"
"You got that demon blood in ya!"
"Yeah, I'm half demon, he's FULL demon. My father was one of the most powerful Demons to ever live and Tygrys killed him in one move. What chance do I stand!?" Arnec yelled, Tangle continuing to rub his head, smirking "Arnec... Your uncle won because he was a coward, he stabbed your father while he wasn't looking so he couldn't fight back! Me and Whisper have our own experiences with people like that... But you're not a coward, you nearly died to make sure we got here. Not many would do that."
"Sonic, Silver-"
"No, stop with that. You're not them, they're not you. Stop trying to just fade away. What's the point of trying to save the world if you're gonna just disappear? You can't just do that." Tangle said, Arnec looking away from her before nodding "I guess he was a coward. But still I'd like you not to fight him. Let me handle it." he said, Tangle groaning and rolling her eyes "Did you not hear a single thing I just said!?" "Yes, I did but-"
"You're not doing this alone, I ain't gonna let ya!"
"Tangle, I-"
"We fight together, even if we die together! I'd do it for Whisper, I'll gladly do it for you too!"
"Tangle!" Arnec yelled, Tangle stopping while Whisper and Silver jolted awake. Arnec sighed "I just can't lose you. I've lost too much. I don't care what I have to do, I'm keeping you safe." he said, his hand going onto her cheek as he kissed her forehead. She looked concerningly at him and held his hands
"Just promise me that I won't lose you in the process."
"I'll do my best." Arnec said before gently kissing her and getting up. "Where are you going!?" Tangle asked, Arnec popping his knuckles "I gotta go do something." he said before walking into the main area. Beezlebub was eating, a few Restoration members staring as Mammon sat down next to them. Arnec sat down by Mammon and looked at him, the orange eyes of Mammon looking at everyone as he tried to determine how much each person's clothes were worth. Arnec saw Amy making some stew with a small campfire she'd set up. There was some bowls she'd set out that had some. "Hey uh... Amy, right?" Arnec asked as he walked up to her. Amy turned around "Yeah, that's me. You're Arnec?"
"Yep. Ain't had stew in a long time. Uh, what do you do for the Restoration?"
"I might as well be the mother of the entire thing! I organize pretty much everything, Sonic's too busy taking care of any threats, like Eggman."
"He's mentioned Eggman before, heck I met him when I nearly died at Capital City. Pretty bland name, you ask me."
"Well, used to be called Metropolis, not much better. Wait... You nearly died!?" Amy asked as she handed him a bowl. "A lot of things happened." Arnec said with a shrug. "...So what is it that Sonic wants exactly?" he then asked. Amy crossed her arms and thought to herself for a moment "You know... I don't really know. He's never really said anything about it in specific." she said, looking around. Arnec raised an eyebrow as he ate a spoonful of the stew
"Really? I know you're in a war of some kind, but that's all I know."
"Yeah, old egghead. If anything, I think Sonic just wants us all to be safe. Eggman's been causing trouble for years and I think Sonic just wants it over with."
"Guess we're kinda similar then."
"So... About you... Is this where you grew up, or...?"
"A good chunk of my life, yes. Born here and raised till I was 10."
"What happened?"
"My insane uncle decided to go on a rampage and slayed my father right in front of me, and on my birthday."
Amy sighed "That sounds terrible!"
"Went to Mobius for little over a year, trying to hide. Didn't end too well. Lost my mother and my twin brother."
"A lot of us didn't know our parents. I guess it feels better to never know what you lost, huh?"
"Yeah... I guess."
"So how're you and Tangle? I know you two are a thing."
"Oh, we're good. I'm just glad you met me now and not when me and her met."
"Why's that?"
"I wasn't very social, to say the least. I only had a demon to raise me between losing my mum and now, and he doesn't speak much like most Mobians. It's all formal introductions, tell people what you are type of deal. Now I'm more casual thanks to Tangle's help."
"Im glad she's helped you. And she seems happy to be with you, so... A healthy relationship is the best!" Amy said with a smile, Arnec smiling too
"That we can agree on. Stew's good by the way. Reminds me of my mother's cooking way back when."
Amy smiled a little
"Thanks. You know, you remind me of Shadow. Ought to talk to him."
"Which one is he?"
"Black and red Hedgehog. Can't miss him! I think he's over there..." Amy said before pointing at a pile of crates where the ebony Hedgehog was. Arnec nodded "Thanks. Hopefully after this is over we can talk again!" he said, waving his hand a little as he walked away. He walked up to Shadow, who was not facing anyone and was all alone. Arnec did the same but next to him. There was a minute or two of silence before Arnec heard Shadow's voice
"I'm Shadow."
"Arnec."
"Ive heard your half demon. That true?" Shadow asked, turning to face him. Arnec shrugged and looked at him
"Well the forensics probably won't be an exact 50, but a pretty good portion of me is demon. Why?"
"Because I'm half of something that isn't Mobian too. You don't know much about me, do you?"
"No, could you enlighten me?"
"I was an experiment to create the ultimate life form using the DNA of a Mobian Hedgehog and of an alien life form simply know as the Black Arms. They almost look like the Demons that have been stirring up trouble recently."
"Black Arms? I've never heard of them."
"Not at all surprised by that. But that Black Arm DNA is the source of my power. Using a single Chaos Emerald I can stop time itself."
"Stopping time?" Arnec said to himself before looking at his sword "Huh... Was that what Tails meant by my sword?" he asked himself. "So, about this Tygrys guy... What's he like to fight?" Shadow then asked, Arnec sighing
"I've never fought him personally, but he only killed my father because my father never had a chance to fight back. Now, who would win between him and me? I'm not my father, but I'm sure me or Sonic could take him down if we work together. I wouldn't want to take him lightly though..."
"Then I can take him too." Shadow said to himself. He looked at Arnec before narrowing his eyes "You've lost a lot, haven't you? Who was it?" he asked, Arnec surprised by the question
"How did...?" he said quietly before pausing, then sighing "My family. Mom, father, twin... Thanks to Tygrys."
"And that's why you want him dead. Can't say I blame you. I've got my own past I've had to deal with. A human, Maria, who might as well have been my sister." Shadow said, smirking a little. Arnec raised an eyebrow, intrigued "Could you tell me more about her? If you don't want to I understand." Arnec said, Shadow almost smiling as he thought about it
"I mentioned I was an experiment, I was created on an old space station known as the Space Colony ARK. Maria was the only human to show kindness to me. It's thanks to her I'm not what I was created to be... An emotionless weapon. I still think about what happened... She sacrificed herself to save me... The last time I saw her was seconds before getting launched out of the ARK in an escape pod, the ARK falling silent as I left... For years I was out cold, I think a couple of decades at least. But I guess I hit my head on something, forgot pretty much everything except my powers. Robotonick, or Eggman as the others call him, tried to use this to his advantage..." Shadow explained, his eyes briefly showing anger as he said Eggman's name. He then looked over at Amy, who was still cooking "If it wasn't for her, I never would have remembered Maria. I would have continued to just be a weapon..." he said, smiling a little. Arnec smiled a little too "We're pretty similar it seems. Shadow, you think you could help me with something?"
"That depends. If it's dating advice go to Rouge or Amy."
"No I've got someone for that, it's about something more personal."
"Go on." Shadow said quietly. "With you and your past, what keeps you going and not thinking about that?"
Shadow smiled a little "Sonic taught me a while back that trying to live your life alone isn't very great. When me and him first met I was cold, bordering heartless." Shadow said, remembering him and Sonic when they stopped the Biolizard a long time ago. "But being around him, Amy, Rouge and Omega... I changed. Me, Rouge and Omega are actually part of a team; Team Dark."
"Amy mentioned something like that about me and Tangle."
"I noticed you two were close."
"Glad we weren't trying to keep it a secret. I'm... New to relationships." Arnec said before blushing shyly. "Like I said, Amy or Rouge, not me." Shadow said, smirking as he looked at the wolf. Arnec chuckled "You think you could try something?"
"That depends."
"Its with my sword. Tails said it was like a Chaos Emerald, and... Well..."
He handed the sword to Shadow, the ebony Hedgehog feeling the weight of it as he concentrated. He then got into a stance similar to Arnec's when doing his Dimension Slice move, legs bent and all
"Chaos Control!" he shouted as he drew it, everything except Arnec and him freezing. Everything unfroze a few seconds later as he sheathed it and Shadow handed Arnec his sword back "There's your answer." he said, Arnec smiling a little. Suddenly they heard the clanking of armor coming through the doorway, Arnec's hand going onto the handle of his sword as a bead of sweat crept down his forehead
"No, he hasn't found us already!" he said in his head, concentrating on the doorway. "I'm not ready... Please, don't be him... Not now!" he yelled internally, his heart beating faster with each footstep he heard. What came through the doorway surprised Arnec, but not in a bad way. It was a large purple salamander, similar to a Hunter but more... Evolved. He had a scar over his left eye and Arnec recognized him immediately...
"Leviathan!?" he yelled. Mammon chuckled "Coulda told you he was there."
He said, Amy looking over at him "And you didn't tell us!?"
"What, you think I'm getting paid to shout people's names!?" Mammon responded, rolling his eyes. Arnec smiled as he looked at Levi, several other Hunters coming out of the darkness behind him. They wore a suit that covered their entire body except for the tail, their eyes covered by two glowing orange visors. Arnec felt like he knew them, but couldn't quite place it...
"The firstborn of Szakala lives..." Leviathan said, his one eye looking at Arnec and noticing how much he'd changed over the years. He then hugged him "I'm sorry about your father. How's Lucetta and Fayn?"
"Gone."
"Im sorry. Szakala spoke highly of her. I see you brought a small force with you."
"We're going to try and take Tygrys out."
"Wouldn't be the only ones. I've got my own band of survivors. Tygrys wasn't as thorough as we initially thought. Still, less than 100. Last I checked he was still in the Fortezza della tempesta." Leviathan said, his eye looking at all the Mobians. Arnec had heard that name before, Fortezza Della Tempesta was a fortress used back when the demon realm and Mobius were at war....