'You– uhm–' Starla stumbles over her words for a moment, 'you never– you didn't deserved any of that. I don't know why I hung around with her. Maybe I thought we were friends, I don't know. She was never very friendly with anyone, really. I won't hang around with her anymore though. I'm done with her. I just... I wanted you to know that.'

Adora nods, a small smile forcing its way onto her face. 'Okay.'

'None of it was true! You know that right? You're– you seem like a really cool person and you're not any of things she said you were.' The sincerity in Starla's eyes helps Adora to believe her, but Isla always had the same look in her eye. Like she meant it, every word, like it was true.

Adora just nods again, looking down at the ground. She decides to tell the truth. 'I know. I think. I'm... working on it.'

'Okay. Okay,' Starla smiles a little, then looks back toward the tennis courts. 'Listen, I've got– I have a match soon, but, could we exchange numbers? I'd really love to talk with you more, to perhaps– to maybe be friends. If you want that. I understand if not.'

'Yeah. Yeah, I'd like that,' Adora replies easily, offering Starla a kind smile, 'thank you for your help with everything, and for staying behind after Isla left. It– it means a lot, to know someone cares. Well, my other friends care too, probably, but someone else, y'know?'

Starla just laughs at Adora's awkward floundering, insisting that she gets it before offering Adora her phone. Adora inputs her number and hands it back, then waves as Starla makes her way back toward the courts.

Adora pulls out her own phone, half expecting to already have a message from Starla (there isn't one), and brings up Catra's contact instead.

It barely rings before Adora's greeted with the beautiful sound of Catra's voice.

'Hey, Adora.'

Adora just basks in it for a moment, humming to herself as she enjoys the way her name sounds when Catra says it.

'Adora? You there?'

Shit. 'Yes! Yeah, sorry, I– uh– I spaced out a little, I think,' Adora answers quickly, trying not to sound too croaky from all of her crying. She hopes it isn't noticeable through the phone.

'Of course you were, Dummy. Oh, your roommates told me to tell you they went home, but I'm– I'm—'

Adora isn't surprised that her roommates left already, they would see each other later, after all, no doubt to interrogate her about her black eye if Catra told them about it. But, part of her didn't expect Catra to stick around too, and her chest squeezes at the gesture. 'You're still here?'

'I– Yeah, of course I am. I told Sparkles and Croptop I would hang around, and then after I said that they rushed off. All too eager to– um– to leave us alone, I guess. They're scarily supportive, by the way.'

Adora sighs, enjoying for a moment how Catra's words make her feel incredibly warm inside; cared for. And how her friends obviously approve of Catra enough to leave them time alone together. 'Yeah, they are.'

'So are you going to tell me where you are or am I supposed to guess? I'm outside the main entrance to the tennis... place.'

'Oh! Right. Yes. I'll come find you. Just stay there,' Adora hurries, scrambling off the bench. She slings her racket bag over her shoulder and jogs back toward the tennis building with a smile on her face. 'See you soon!'

***

If Catra notices that Adora's been crying, she doesn't mention it, and Adora is incredibly grateful. All of that is still pretty fresh, and she isn't ready to face it while they're still on campus.