thirty-one

sunwoo and isla stepped out of his car, taking and intertwining their hands together before walking into the school's gym together

it was just minutes before the dance competition was going to begin, and the place was filled. mostly with students, even from different schools. the school originally wanted to hold the competition in the auditorium, but there ended up being more tickets sold than expected.

isla almost immediately spotted jaemin, her brother and jisung, along with her other friends who'd been waiting for her at the door to find seats together.

she turned to sunwoo, "do you want to go say hi to jaemin and the others?"

he looked down at her and smiled, not really wanting to greet the people who hated him, but couldn't bring himself to say no to her. "of course."

isla excitedly gripped his hand even tighter and gently pulled him to where the others were waiting. yangyang was first to notice her, smiling and pulling her into a hug while sunwoo fought back an urge to glare.

when he pulled back, his eyes reverted to the pink haired boy and just gave a simple nod. once everyone noticed the almost couple standing there, isla wanted to physically cringe at how quickly the energy shifted.

"so... lets go find seats?" she asked, desperate to lift the good vibes back into the air. everyone silently agreed and sunwoo protectively slung his arm over islas shoulders while they all went to fond seats for all of them.

"this was probably a mistake," sunwoo whispered to her, "they clearly don't want me here."

the shorter girls expression went soft. "no, they're just trying to get used to you. you know? we all want you here."

after some searching, the twelve of them finally found seats where they were all sitting with each other. friend groups aren't usually this large so it was almost impossible. they sat down together and waited for the show to begin.

after only a few moments, isla felt a tap on her shoulder from behind her so she turned around.

"lala, can you get us some snacks?" the young boy, jisung, put on his signature pouty face which always made isla melt.

"fine, but you have to come with me," she replied, pointing her pointer finger at him. he huffed but got up anyways as isla quickly told sunwoo she'd be right back, and soon the two were right outside the gym doors in line for the concession stand that was being held.

"so... you and sunwoo, huh?" the tall boy looked down at his older friend with a sly grin on his face.

isla scrunched up her face in disgust, hitting him over the head. "don't make it weird!"

"what?! i'm not! i'm just curious..." he exclaims, "chenle says renjun hates him because he's a jerk."

"oh you and chenle are besties now?"

"actually he fits in real well with me and your brother, we should adopt him."

"jisung you're 16, you can't adopt anyone."

"next in line please!"

the pair went on to get their snacks, along with some snacks for the others to share. as they began to walk back in, isla heard someone calling her name.

"yuta? hey!" she called. "i'll meet you in there." she then said to jisung.

the orange haired man she'd previously met while at shotaros house had walked towards her with a bright smile on his face, and his hands tucked into his black ripped jeans.

"i didn't think i would see you here, but it's nice to see you again." he grinned, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder which made her freeze.

isla had no romantic attraction to him whatsoever, but she's made it very obvious that she does in fact get nervous around incredibly pretty people, and he just happened to be an incredibly pretty person.

"i also wanted to thank you for taking care of my brother. you mean a lot to him."

the girl felt a pang of warmth in her chest, "ah, don't thank me. he's my friend, of course i'll be there for him."

he just kept his smile. "well, i have to meet my parents inside so i'll head in with you."

isla kindly accepted his offer, and so they walked in together, but it wasn't long until they parted ways to go to their own seats. isla sat back down next to her partner and handed him a snickers bar, to which he accepted and kissed her on the cheek. it was just minutes after she sat down when the show was finally beginning.

the group didn't really care for the other schools and didn't give all their attention until their own school was up, more specifically, their good friends jeno and shotaro. safe to say they killed it, and people really enjoyed watching them based on the cheers every 30 seconds.

once it was over, everyone was probably expecting their school to win just because of the reactions they got, and they were right. they did win and the entire friend group got up to cheer and scream as loud as they could for their friends.

"you other teams suck!" haechan yelled, earning dirty looks from families of the opposing school, but he didn't care and the rest found it hilarious.

after the two dancers were finished backstage and able to come out, shotaro immediately flew into islas arms, smiling from ear to ear.

"congratulations!" she cheered, hugging his shaken up body. "you won! good job!"

he pulled away and began jumping up and down, unable to contain his excitement. "i can't believe we did that."

"i can, like i said, you're a beast," isla told him, ruffling his damp hair. shotaro smiled again and went to greet the others as jeno came trailing along, looking visibly tired.

"shit, i don't even use this much energy during practice." he said, his breath heavy and sweat dripping from his forehead, but he hung his arm over islas shoulders anyways.

"ew... you're so sweaty. congrats, though."

"thanks cu— uh, bro." he'd almost called her cutie, forgetting that her date was just right behind them. he awkwardly removed his arm from her but isla was oblivious to the mistake.

"hey, jeno," sunwoo called. "nice job out there. you guys killed it."

he sounded genuine, which earned a half smile from jeno. "thanks, man."