A Horrific Hay Ride

"You know what guys? We should go on the hay ride," Dashiell suggested, looking at both Zion and Liz, who were sitting next to her.

"Ooh yea!" Liz said.

"What?! Do you remember last time!?" Zion said in a high pitched tone.

"Yea, the corn maze. You said a scarecrow was chasing you, but I swear we didn't hear or see anything." Dashiell said reassuringly. "You still sure you didn't just imagine it?"

"I am 100 perfect positive that I did not imagine a scarecrow chasing me and nearly killing me. I showed you the scratches on my back that it gave me." Zion protested.

"They could have been from corn husks. They are pretty sharp actually," Dashiell said.

"It might be fun." Liz said, not having anything to say about the corn maze Zion and Dashiell went to last year, because she had not gone.

"When is it..." Zion asked reluctantly.

"On Halloween of course!" Dashiell said, a excited glint in her eyes.

  Zion groaned, rubbing his face. "And is this going to be a haunted ride, that have people chasing you?"

"More or less," Dashiell said, rubbing her hands together. "It goes down some back roads then over the creek. One of the back roads has trees like a tunnel and its dark and super cool to go through."

"We should totally go," Liz squealed.

"But-" Zion started to protest.

"Stop being so scared," Liz interrupted. "See, Dashiell isn't even scared."

"That's because she's insane! She likes scary stuff!" Zion protested.

"Well- even if she is or not, that doesn't excuse anything." Liz said.

"Yea," Dashiell smirked. "I'll protect you guys."

"Alright," Zion said, giving her a sideways glance, still not fully convinced.

"I'm glad it's settled then. I'll see you two there." Dashiell said with a grin.

+×+×+×+×+×+×+×+

Halloween day came. Zion awoke with a feeling of unrest, but he laughed at himself for being scared. The rest of the day, the tiny feeling of uneasiness settled right in the corner of his mind, but he barely even registered it, intent on being excited about going on the hay ride. Nothing was going to stop him from having fun with his friends, not even the bad thoughts about what happened last year.

  When the time finally came for him to leave, he grabbed his keys and walked to his car. He got in, sitting for a second while he texted Liz and Dashiell that he was on his way. He had just pressed send on his message, when he saw a blur of something in his window from the corner of his eye. Immediately, he jumped, dropped his phone and looked. He saw nothing except his front porch, and a flag on a pole waving slowly in the breeze. It was just the flag.

  Zion laughed nervously at himself as he leaned over to pick up his phone from off the floor. For a second, a creepy black face flashed onto his windshield. Zion picked up his phone, setting it in the cup holder, then looked out his windshield, which was now clear. He sighed, then began driving to the hay ride.

><><><><><><><><

Dashiell and Liz were already waiting for him when he pulled up. You waited inside of this huge barn, where the tractor pulled into. They piled people on the hay wagon when it was ready, and it was around a 30 minute ride before you came back. In the barn there was some concession stands and a few souvenir booths. To ride, you bought wristbands, and when they called your color, it was your turn to ride.

  Zion walked up to Dashiell and Liz, who were standing right outside the large barn doors.