Chapter 15: Kushida Joining the Group

I glanced around the classroom. What was I supposed to do now? If I said, "Hey, want to study with me after class?" would anyone even come? Sudou and I were close enough that he might, but I wasn't sure about the others. Well, with nothing to lose, I decided to try.

"Hey, Sudou. Have a minute?" I called as he headed back to the classroom after lunch. He was sweating and a bit short of breath. Probably played some basketball during his lunch break.

"What are you going to do about the midterm?"

"Oh, that. I don't know. I've never really studied seriously before," he said.

"Oh, yeah? Well, I have just the thing. I wanted to form a study group to meet every day after class, starting today. Want to join?"

Sudou stared at me, his mouth slightly agape. "You serious? If the lessons are a pain in my ass, why would studying after class be any better? Besides, I have club activities, so it's pointless. Plus, you're going to be tutoring? Your scores weren't great, either."

"Don't worry about that part. Horikita's the tutor."

"Horikita? I don't really know anything about her. Sounds fishy. I'll pass. I'll be fine cramming for the test the night before."

""Wait. You remember you said you owe me a favour after I bought cup noodles just after the start of school. Join the study group for that."

"Dude, you really pulling something like that?" Sudou said sighing.

"What the waste. You get to study to return a favour and you can easily pass midterms with them. Isn't it two birds with one stone?"

"*Sigh* Alight you win, when will we do it?"

"How about after your clubs? If you prefer anytime else tell me cause I'm going to call Ike and Yamauchi, too."

"No, it's perfect. That way I will not miss practice also."

"Okay, but make sure not to get too tired or you will not understand anything in the study group."

"Sure, don't worry about it. I got ton of stamina." Sudou said with a tap on his chest while looking proud.

"Okay. Oh, and I have said Horikita not to badmouth if someone doesn't know anything. So, you also try to tolerate her a bit alright?"

"I understand. If you are going out of your way to help me. I see no reason to try a bit at my end."

"Thanks for understanding. Oh, by the way, I wanted to say try not to sleep in lectures. It might be okay now cause we have 0 points but after the midterm if we do things like these again they will cut our points again. So start trying from now, okay?

"Ah, about that. Sure. I don't understand what's going on so I put my head down and get some sleep." he said while laughing and scratching his cheek a little.

"That problem will also solve by itself after we study in the study group."

"Yeah, you're right about that. I'll try not to sleep in class from now then. I'm counting on you for the study group, alright."

"Okay. See you tomorrow then."

"Yeah, See ya." Sudou said and started to fiddle with his phone.

After Sudou agreed, I called out to Ike, who was playing on his phone.

"Hey, Ike, h—"

"Pass! I heard you talking with Sudou. Study group? No way. Not my thing."

"You do know you'll be expelled if you fail, right?"