The Black Mercedes of Tawau (Urban Legend)

This story began circulating in the late 90s. At that time, the roads around the east side of Tawau were still very quiet as there was not much development in that area. 

One day, a family travelling in a black Mercedes Benz met with an accident in that lonely area. The car flipped over and caught fire. The entire family was trapped, and because there was no one around to help, they all perished in the flames. Since the incident, numerous strange events have been reported in the area.

The most common story is that all car accidents in the area end up with the vehicles being flipped over, with all four wheels are in the air. Just like the tragic Mercedes Benz. 

At first, the residents of Tawau didn’t give these incidents a second thought. But when report after report of cars flipping over began to pile up, people began to wonder if it had anything to do with the Black Mercedes Benz.

Many accident victims reported being suddenly overtaken by a speeding black Mercedes Benz at night before they lost control of their vehicles.  Many also noticed that the black Mercedes did not have a driver.

According to popular lore, if anyone wanted to see the phantom car overtaking their vehicle, they must drive around the Sin Onn roundabout three times, then drive at high speed down the road heading towards the east. Would you dare to try it?

By Lai Chee Seng October 7, 2014 / 14:09 MYT on Coconuts KL