Orang Minyak (Urban Legend)

In traditional Malay folklore, the Orang Minyak (or Oily Man) was a supernatural being called into being and controlled by evil bomoh or witch doctors. The Orang Minyak’s duty was to cause all kinds of mischief and crimes. But this legend has continually evolved over time.

Another origin of this legend was popularised by a classic P. Ramlee film. In this version, the Orang Minyak was a wronged man who accepted the help of the Devil to exact vengeance.

To seal the deal, he had to worship the devil and rape 21 virgins within a week. In the end, the Orang Minyak was cursed to live forever in this supernatural form.

In the 1960s, sightings of Orang Minyak were reported in several Malaysian towns. This Orang Minyak was described as a human with impure intentions towards virgins. He stalked his victims while naked and covered with oil (supposedly to make him difficult to catch).

The Orang Minyak terror led to unmarried women, especially in student dormitories, resorting to constantly wearing sweaty clothes to give the creature the impression that they had just got it on with a man.

The Orang Minyak legend has continued to terrorise young women well into the new millennium. In 2005, there was a report of a knife-wielding Orang Minyak roaming around Kuala Lumpur Hospital, attempting to rape the nurses.

In 2012, the residents of a village in Gombak, Selangor claim to have seen and heard the Orang Minyak skulking around the area.

By Lai Chee Seng October 7, 2014 / 14:09 MYT on Coconuts KL