though none of them would openly admit it, the emperor sometimes slightly favored aisa over the rest, partially because he had truly loved aisa's biological mother when she was still alive.

"but your majest—"

"end of discussion", the emperor cut off.

"and anyways, I didn't call you all to have lunch just to discuss about your daily lives. in two weeks, we will be holding a ball amongst the upper nobles.

not only do I expect the utmost behavior from you all, but each of you will be responsible for performing a piece on an instrument of your choice", nobukazu stated.

"dammit! I thought it was going to be a sword fight", hirotada dejectedly muttered.

"hirotada, did you say something?", his father sternly questioned.

"n-no, father. please continue", the second prince responded.

"and at the ball, there's two important guests that I've been conversing with about trading gold in exchange for their ruby mines. however, it seems that they're very reluctant, despite the pricing that I've offered", nobukazu informed.

     "so father wants us to persuade them to complete the deal with you?", akishino asked.

     "indeed. it's marquess and marchioness futaba. they have no children and are about to hit their thirties I believe", nobukazu further explained.

"oh my! isn't thirty a little too old to bare children?", naora gasped.

"that reminds me, aisa is nineteen this year. perhaps we ought to start thinking about her mar—"

aisa dropped her utensils, letting them smack against the silver plate, as she delicately wiped the corners of her mouth.

"I'm full. please excuse me", the woman stood up to say.

"and as honored as I am for mother naora to be thinking of my marriage, I simply cannot fathom such a thing when I still wish to accompany you, mother mitsuyo, and daddy", aisa slightly pouted; her informal name-calling triggering a soft spot in her father's heart.

"aisa's right. she's still too young, and plus, there aren't many suitors that are good enough for her", nobukazu stated.

"but your majesty!"

"aisa, don't you have something to do? you may be excused", her father said.

"thank you, daddy! I'll come visit you later, if you don't mind", aisa giggled, sending her stepmother a fake smile that caused naora's blood to rise.

"sure. see you later", nobukazu replied, as aisa exited with her two personal knights.

as soon as the doors closed, aisa chuckled to herself, humming with each step she took.

"you seem to be in a good mood, princess", hanamiya commented.

"of course! nothing makes me happier than insulting bitches like her", aisa scoffed, ordering for one of the outdoor guards to fetch the carriage.

"bitches? you're not talking about—"

"I am", aisa sternly interrupted.

"I most certainly am", she repeated with a grin.

ೃ࿔*:・

as aisa boarded the carriage with her two knights riding along, the three had arrived outside the palace, where many people had oohed and awed at the fancy landau passing by.